Best terry fold for a bigger baby?

My avatar
bujji
Clothie
Clothie

Best terry fold for a bigger baby?

Postby bujji » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:38 am

Hi,
Wondering if anyone could advise on the best folds for a bigger baby? All the ones I see are for nb or smaller babies & I've struggled to get them on my 25+lb chunky dd (8m).
If anyone could recommend any I'd really appreciate it!

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Best terry fold for a bigger baby?

Postby emmavmorgan » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:43 pm

I used to use them for night nappies for my ds I either used the classic kite fold or the one where you fold both edges to centre and the fold it in half again then fan out the top and bottom to nipper (rubbish description I think it maybe called the Jo fold??) it's a great fold as you can easily slip a hemp booster in the middle :wink:

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:09 pm

the nappy lady site has a whole section that includes most of the folds out there, including ones for bigger babies / toddlers. There's also a booklet available somewhere or another to download that describes a similar set with diagrams, if that's easier for you than just written descriptions / videos.

I think the 'neat' fold is supposed to be OK for bigger babies.

My avatar
Mumof5
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Mumof5 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:32 am

I find that the Jo fold (which is basically like a prefold shape) works well for my chunky monkey, not so great for poonami containment though!

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:02 am

I like the Gaynor fold for my 19lb 7oz eleven month old. There're good demos on YouTube.

My avatar
Slebro
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Slebro » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:17 am

The one where you fold diagonally and overlap the edges by an inch or so then open it back up leaving a pad in the middle before folding it into a triangle. The only problem with this one is it's quite loose on because you can't pull it tight, so you do need a good wrap. It's absorbant though. I'm using this on 50cm atm because my baby was born a little bigger than I expected but 60cm are still really bulky on him...

This instruction booklet is where I learned the folds - I find written instructions easier than videos!
HTH :D

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:08 am

Slebro wrote:The one where you fold diagonally and overlap the edges by an inch or so then open it back up leaving a pad in the middle before folding it into a triangle. The only problem with this one is it's quite loose on because you can't pull it tight, so you do need a good wrap. It's absorbant though. D

That sounds like the Gaynor fold :) I don't find it loose though..

My avatar
Slebro
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Slebro » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:02 pm

Rufies mama wrote:That sounds like the Gaynor fold :) I don't find it loose though..

Hmmm wonder if I'm doing something wrong then and missing a step when folding it? On my toddler I feel it undoes itself in the small of his back when I'm nippa-ing it up. I'd not be able to let him play wrap-free with this fold, as it slips down but I sometimes did with other folds when it was hot last year.

Very good otherwise and because I can adjust how much it's folded in half it can be made bigger or smaller and definitely makes a Terry size last longer imo :D

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:32 am

Slebro wrote:The one where you fold diagonally and overlap the edges by an inch or so then open it back up leaving a pad in the middle before folding it into a triangle. The only problem with this one is it's quite loose on because you can't pull it tight, so you do need a good wrap. It's absorbant though. I'm using this on 50cm atm because my baby was born a little bigger than I expected but 60cm are still really bulky on him...

This instruction booklet is where I learned the folds - I find written instructions easier than videos!
HTH :D

I used thinner 60cm terries (the basic Junior Joy ones) and an origami fold early on. Now I use 60cm Terry Tots with a kite fold (which is easy and effective, I find).

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds