hf1

Squareness of cotton terries

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Squareness of cotton terries

Postby epsilon1 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:39 pm

I've found that the basic Junior Joy terries I have are no longer square, the Bright Bots ones I have are much better - does anyone know if the 'higher grade' JJ squares stay squarer? Eg Ultra Supreme?

Obviously the JJ ones I have are still useful, but they're a bit of a pain to fold, and used by themselves tend to be saturated within 3 hours. Guess I'll be using them as boosters, emergency backup or if I ever have a little newborn again.

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Squareness of cotton terries

Postby Sunset » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:53 pm

I don't know about the JJ ones but I've had un square terries before too and it's most annoying

My avatar
Miranda
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Miranda » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:06 pm

They are better, but I'm not sure if the more recent batches are as good, it seems to me that their muslins for example are now thinner etc than they were. I dolike the Bright Bots for consistency, the Nature babies are also good as they're made in UK and they do bamboo ones

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:05 pm

I've now ordered some of the 60cm Nature Babies cotton ones, with the red stripey binding. See how we go. I do like to buy British (made) if I can. :thumbsup:

Now, could someone please tell me why they cost £3 each from Real Terry Nappies, but £4 each if you buy them directly from Nature Babies? :doh: very annoying, as I also ordered some fleece liners from NB, and it would have made soooo much more sense to do it all as one order and only pay one lot of postage. :x I drive myself mad sometimes trying to find ONE website that stocks ALL the things I want at one time and has transparent p+p costs. Having said that, I may just have to have a self-imposed ban on nappy purchasing for a while in an attempt to actually save some of my Maternity Allowance over the next few months.

My avatar
Stef77
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Stef77 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:01 am

I noticed that with the bat or origami fold, it doesn't matter whether the terry nappy is square or not.

My avatar
wulfie
Clothie
Clothie

Postby wulfie » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:13 pm

I don't know whether this will help you at all.

I found that my terry squares always needed a good shake then pulling back into shape before I hung them out to dry or put them on the drying rack.

My avatar
ElizabethandTeddy
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ElizabethandTeddy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:36 am

I was told by a midwife how to preserve the squareness of terries.

1. Look at the border of the nappy. You'll notice two sides of the border are thicker. Hang them so that the two sides with the thick border are vertical (going downwards) and the two sides with the thin border are horizontal.

2. Drape them over the line at the middle of the nappy instead of hanging them from the top of the nappy. It takes slightly longer to dry, but is well worth it.

Out-of-shape terries are awful to fold, but if you hang them this way they dry into perfect squares.

X

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds