hf1

Something for a newborn

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Something for a newborn

Postby epsilon1 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:53 pm

scarlet wrote:There seem to be loads of different types will need an evening to research , any tips ?

Had to type and run yesterday, since I had a squirmy baby on my lap, but he's asleep now, so I can give a fuller reply.

I was coming in to say the opposite of littlesez(!) for one thing. To my mind, half the benefit of terries is that they are quick and easy to dry as well as being absorbent, whereas bamboo takes far longer, AND you're not supposed to use direct heat, so no tumbling, heated airers or radiators. I have a few 40cm bamboo squares that I use to boost QD bumbles (what we're using for night nappies atm), but for ordinary daytime use it's 60cm cotton squares all the way.

We have:

1) absolute basic Junior Joy. Being relatively thin they are quick to dry, and not too bulky on tinies. Also very cheap. Ours seem to have deformed into rectangles though, which means some folds aren't as neat as they might be - we used origami until very recently. I still have a couple in the changing bag though, and wouldn't knock them.

2) Bright bots. Some coloured ones, and also a pack of 12 white bots. Ours are a bit stiff these days, probably due to relatively hard water and no tumble drier, but they're washing and wearing well.

3) Terry Tots (by Nature Babies, cheapest to buy from Real Terry Nappy site though) with pink stripey binding, which I think helps to keep them square. We've not had them as long as the bright bots, but they seem to be staying softer and fluffier, which to my mind is a good thing, since I think you get a better fit around the legs.

We're currently using the kite fold, which is working well I think, and is also a bit adjustable.

You can get bigger squares, from Twinkle Twinkle and a company called Natural Clothing, but I've not tried either.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed May 22, 2013 2:23 pm

my bamboo ones dry quick :giggle:

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Wed May 22, 2013 2:42 pm

I guess they'd dry quicker than anything else made of bamboo...

Forgot to say (well, ok, also the baby woke up just as I was finishing the last post :giggle: ): Nest Shop does a terry nappy btp kit with various terries in it, and they explain why they use the different types, so that might be worth a look.

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Wed May 22, 2013 7:09 pm

I mainly fancy them for new born days to boost the stash out a bit do you think 60cm would suit that stage? Thanks for all the advice!!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed May 22, 2013 7:55 pm

Tbh I found 40 too small because I like jo fold which left them too small for Leon he was 9lb 4 though :giggle:

60 used with both bubbas fine for Leon bulky on Izzy maybe 50cm would be good ?

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Thu May 23, 2013 5:22 pm

scarlet wrote:I mainly fancy them for new born days to boost the stash out a bit do you think 60cm would suit that stage? Thanks for all the advice!!

Probably fine with the right fold and wrap. After all, at one stage it was all anyone had! But I'd seriously suggest getting the basic Junior Joy type, so as they're not too bulky. You can use them later on as boosters or whatever too.

Previous

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds