Budget

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Site Supporter

Re: Budget

Postby epsilon1 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:20 pm

I find it helpful to remember that once upon a time all anyone had was cotton terry squares, so it must be possible to use them alone. It's not really a budget thing with me either - I spent loads on different types of nappies ahead of time, and in a way I'm glad I did, since now I KNOW this is the option I prefer, at least for now (which is why I haven't sold the others yet). Probably for me it's been the drying time that's been the clincher, and maybe that's not surprising given a baby born at the beginning of a long cold winter and us not having a tumble drier, airing cupboard or conservatory...

Oh, you can also get bigger than 60cm squares - forget where now, but I found them by googling, not that I've bought any.

My avatar
Olivette
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Olivette » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:02 pm

I've not had number 1 yet, but had decided we would use terries in the beginning to get us going without needing to spend the earth. I'd done lots of research regarding the cheapest place to buy them, and the different makers of them and concluded that the kit you can buy from the nest shop (http://www.nest-shop.co.uk/cotton-terry-square-birth-to-potty-nappy-nappy-kit) was the cheapest way of buying everything. When I priced everything up individually it came to quite a bit more.

Ox

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:19 pm

oscar has a cotton terry with a tiny nippers hemp booster in between the layers overnight. It works really well for us.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:49 pm

I loved my Bright Bots terrys - gorgeous colours and I would pop a bamboo / hemp booster in to make them last a bit longer. Like some of the PP I liked the Jo fold and found it surprisingly good for containment! I originally bought them as I hit autumn and it was too warm yet for the fire to be on but too cold to dry anything efficiently but I then continued using them even when drying wasn't an issue any more!

If we get our maybe baby I'll be having various flats as part of our collection for sure!

My avatar
ElizabethandTeddy
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ElizabethandTeddy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:57 am

Flat cotton terry nappies are a fantastic option for cloth nappy users on a budget. If you would like to use cloth nappies but can't really afford (or don't want to) spend hundreds and hundreds on modern cloth nappies, then go for cotton terries!

My son is four months old and up until now we've successfully used the 'origami fold' sometimes called the 'Chinese fold'. He's starting to get a bit big for this fold (he's now over 7kg), so I'm looking at changing the fold. Google 'terry nappy folds' and lots of documents and Youtube videos come up demonstrating different folds for different ages.

Cotton terries work well at night time with a woollen nappy cover. Woollen nappy covers are beautiful; they are so cute and entirely natural. They are AMAZING at night--they soak up so much wee!! To make them waterproof you have to soak them in lanolin, but it's really easy. Any supplier of woolen nappy covers will give you instructions on how to care for them.

Previous

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds