hf1

New Parent Nappy Questions

My avatar
kittiker
Clothie
Clothie

New Parent Nappy Questions

Postby kittiker » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:16 pm

My first baby is due in May and I'm very keen to use reusable nappies as much and as soon as I can. I'm planning to use disposables for the first week(s) then I've got a mix of things to use:
12 bambino mios / 3 xs & 3 s mio wraps - I'll use one of the folds with nappi nippa for these instead of pad folding (I know lots of people aren't keen on these but they were an irresistible preloved bargain!)
10 bamboo 50cm terries
10 cotton 60cm terries
4 Nature Babies classic wraps in small
20 Fleece liners plus some flushable ones

Questions
- Is this enough to be able to wash every other day with a NB?
- How long will this do baby for - approx weight / age?
- Any other advice / recommendations / tips for a newbie?

Many thanks

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: New Parent Nappy Questions

Postby clothmama » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:01 pm

Hi, yes that should be fine to wash every other day. I'd get more fleece liners though (or make them, they are dead easy from a cheap fleece blanket), I like to put them in every nappy.

If I were to add anything it would be some fitted nappies, only because they are my favorite for small babies!

Have you got some cloth wipes? I got a cheap, thin pack of face cloths this time and they are fabulous!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:04 pm

Hello and welcome to the tree :wave:
That sounds like enough nappies to me but I can t remember how many I had!
I used bambino mio exclusively with dd1 and have used the prefolds from the sets with both of my other two. They do the job, are easy to wash and dry quicker than fitteds. I hated the wraps though but I think they ve improved.
With prefolds it's the wraps that you will go through lots too but they do dry quickly, especially as you re heading towards summer. I used to give them a quick hand wash if I was short.

The other questions really depend on the size and shape of your baby. The cotton terries will last forever ;) they will be very bulky on a newborn but perfectly usable, baby will just have a big bottom ;)

I would recommend getting some more fleece liners, you can buy fleece from any material shop/ haberdashery shop that can be cut up to fit prefolds or terries etc.

Good luck and enjoy yourself :D

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:06 pm

:giggle: crossed posts with Clothmama , same advice!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:08 pm

confusinglady wrote::giggle: crossed posts with Clothmama , same advice!

Great minds think alike ;)

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:12 am

Hello :wave:
I agree with Clothmama and Confusinglady, I'm sure this will be enough. I also really like fitteds for newborn but certainly not essential. I'd get a few more wraps if you want to wash every other day but then my baby liked to poop round the clock so wasn't uncommon to get through a 3/4 wraps each day.
I haven't tried bambino moi so not sure how long these will last you but the terries should be good indefinitely.

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:14 am

I second what clothmama said about wipes, if you're using cloth nappies it's a no brainer. I have the GroVia ones which I love cos they're a decent size and good texture.

My avatar
PixieFix
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby PixieFix » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:02 am

This will be great for a few months :thumbsup: If you want to carry on using flats you might need to get more terries after a few months, my 50cm ones only lasted until she was a couple months old (I probably could have found a better fold, fitteds were more daddy friendly :roll: ) but your 60 cm will last. The nature babies wraps are great, my lo has just grown out of hers at almost 3 months. My fave wraps are little lamb, if you want to give something else a go when the nature babies are grown out of.

I'm a fitteds girl through and through, if you did want to give them a go xs sandies are great when they are small and I'm loving the little lambs bamboo and bamboozle stretchies now :thumbsup:

My avatar
PixieFix
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby PixieFix » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:03 am

I also third the reusable wipes :D

Next

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds