hf1

Just terries?

My avatar
jaylie
Clothie
Clothie

Just terries?

Postby jaylie » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:37 pm

Hi is there anyone here that uses only folded terry squares? I have gone through all the websites and feel overwhelmed with choice, I am thinking that in order to save money and use cloth I might just buy squares and leave all the other nappies. Would I be mad to do this? I keep thinking that I have been told they are very reliable, easy to wash and dry and very economical and if I want cute I can get that from the wraps?? On a lot of the groups I am on everyone has huge stashes with loads of different nappies and I find it hard work to keep up, so for a simple life terries all the way yay or nay? xxx

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Just terries?

Postby Dancing mum » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:01 pm

I only have a couple of terries and I definitely need to master the folding a bit better.
If it's only going to be you changing nappies then I guess go for it with terries and see how you go. If other people (grandparents / nursery etc) are going to have baby sometimes then maybe check they can fold them properly, people often find pockets or all-in-ones handy for childcare.
You might also find you need something more for nights if you have a heavy wetter, although I think I've heard of people using 2 terries for nighttime.
There are some lovely wraps available so you can definitely have fun with them :)
Good luck with whatever you choose though :thumbsup:

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:41 pm

I use pretty much only flat nappies; I have ties and terry squares, although the tie ons are 12 years old and getting quite frayed so I'm using the terries more and more. My neighbour has just terries. There more if us out there that you think ;)

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:16 am

People did this for years, I was in terries as a baby. I used them on mine too along with other nappies. I preferred bbamboo squares as they are more absorbent but cotton are cheaper and quick to dry. I used to practice folding on a teddy :)

My avatar
jaylie
Clothie
Clothie

Postby jaylie » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:23 pm

Thank you for the replies :)
My partner and I will really be the only bum changers for the first year or so as I don't see any of my family and his parents are great when the kids get to the 2 year old stage but steer away from babysitting while they little. I dont mind this tho as I am a sahm and my days are spent with the kids. On the odd occasion I escape my 17 and 18 year old daughters will babysit and I know they will be happy to learn as they already been playing silly beggars with my towels and teddies lol.
I just dont want to end up wishing i bought more fitted but to be honest once i get the hang of them I dont think they will be that hard. I want to see newborn stashes containing terries and wraps only but everywhere i look I see these cute tiny nappies lol I keep telling myself they will take longer to dry and I will need to buy more as baby grows, with terries I hopefully can just buy once and then have fun with wraps! See I am trying to convince myself hahaha x

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:02 pm

I tried lots of newborn nappies and found Terry squares were THE best for containing newborn poo. There are much cuter and slimmer nappies but then you sacrifice cost, drying speed and containment

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:48 pm

You will be fine with just terries. I used a mix of pockets, fitteds and terries. The terries were great at night time too, I used the nature babies ones which are thicker and they held my 6 Yr olds 3 wees a night until he just night trained this month.
I am about to list my stash on here for sale if you are interested in any.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:27 pm

I m very much a two parter girl ( absorbent bit then a wrap). I ve only tried a narrow selection of nappies really ;) I ve found the simpler the better!

I went down the prefold only route with my first and tried fitteds, pockets, and terries on my second and then with my 3 used/ use the same stash. My work horse nappy would be a flat nappy. As you say they dry quicker and are more reliable than pockets.

The only thing I found was the bulk of a terry was so much bigger round the waist / hips than a prefold ( which I was used to). Mine were cotton so I wonder if a couple of bamboo ones would be handy too ( not used these myself).the bulk can get a bit annoying when they start to sit up or try to walk.

Folding them is really not hard at all, and really doesn't take anymore time than finding inserts and stuffing nappies. I used to fold them in the origami fold ( I think!) and then stack them ready folded. Or tbh after a while you can fold them in the dark!

You can definitely use just those :thumbsup:

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:36 am

They're not great on teeny newborns imo, but beyond that, absolutely. It's what we ended up using with Junior anyway, until he started refusing to wear them in favour of dispos :roll:

It's all I'm planning to use with this one once she gets a bit bigger. :thumbsup:

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds