Muslins to begin with, progressing to terries

My avatar
AppleTree
Clothie
Clothie

Muslins to begin with, progressing to terries

Postby AppleTree » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:20 pm

First post, please be gentle! :fingerscrossed:

My first baby is due in a couple of months and I intend to use flats. I already have lots of 58cm muslins to use initially (Jo fold?) and some Motherease Airflow / Popolini Vento wraps in small and medium sizes. I’m going to make nappy liners by cutting up old sport tops (athletic wicking jersey) and maybe a cheap fleece blanket, although I understand the fleece liners may be for later on (I intend to breastfeed). I thought I could boost muslins with folded muslins or folded facecloths (I bought lots of cheap facecloths to use as baby wipes).

I would welcome advice / experience on using muslins as nappies because I have read varying reports from “they only work for a couple of weeks” to “I used them for 9 months”. I guess it depends on the quantity of wee, the quality of the muslin, boosting and the frequency of nappy changes. How well do Nappy Nippas work with muslins?

I would also be interested in any recommendations of brands of terry squares (either cotton or bamboo) as I realise there is lots of variation (shrinking, thickness, binding etc.). I live in a hard water area and will be line drying them.

Apologies if my questions have already been answered in another post, I think this forum is great and I have learned a lot already just from lurking / browsing so thank you to everyone who posts here. :thumbsup:

Thanks! :D

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Muslins to begin with, progressing to terries

Postby ems101 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:52 pm

Welcome! I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice xx

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:42 am

:wave: and welcome to the tree!!

It's one of those things that all depends I m afraid. Baby's weight will play a big factor with all nappies and that's one thing no one can really plan for :giggle:

I used muslins with my youngest 2, but really only for about 2 weeks. I had junior joy ones so not sure on size etc.
I used the origami fold which I found helped catch poo a bit more than the Jo fold as you can adjust more at the leg holes.
Muslins are definitely good on a newborn with regard to bulk compared to an average size terry. They dry so quickly which is perfect when you're going through a million a day/night. I found them to be soaked through within 2 hours though. I think most babies wee lots in the first 6 months as they are taking in only liquid and lots of it, very frequently.
I did try boosting mine which did obviously help and then moved on to prefolds ( as I had them from dd1).

I don't remember there being a problem with nippas although sometimes I think I just tucked the ends in to hold it. I was using close fitting wraps though as I intended to use prefolds afterwards.

Fleece is great and I used from newborn to help catch the poo or slow its progress :giggle: and to keep them dry. I ve not heard of using sports tops. I wonder if it would soak wee up too?

Good luck!
Come back with more questions, we need some new Tree babies to look forward to :thumbsup:

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:56 pm

Hi :wave:
I wasn't very organised before baby was born and didn't get my nappies until she was 7 weeks so didn't do the muslin stage.
I terms of liners I found fleece perfect from newborn as my baby's breastfed poop was so liquid and quite explosive (sorry if I'm being gross!) that the added texture sort of kept it in the nappy better iyswim? Also you can just stick them straight in the wash without scraping etc as breastfed poop is water soluble so just washes away and any slight staining came out in the sun (it really did work :shock: ).
I have got a few Little Lamb bamboo terries which are really great. Im not sure if they come in smaller sizes or where to get them from though as a friend bought 10 / 12 in LL real nappy week sale and sold a couple on to me as she didn't need them all. I've since been on their site to get more but they're not there so maybe keep your eyes open for any special promotions they're doing in the future?

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kim » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:12 am

Have seen wicking fabric listed as a liner material for nappies - am guessing that would be similar to sports tops.

My avatar
AppleTree
Clothie
Clothie

Postby AppleTree » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:55 pm

Thanks to everyone for the responses so far. :)

Confusinglady – thanks. I’ll check out the origami fold.

I’ve taken apart a couple of my husband’s old cycling tops as I think they are made of athletic wicking jersey which I have seen mentioned on some sites as a good stay dry layer (it seems to be used in some shaped cloth nappies too). I guess if it wicks sweat away from sporty types it should also wick wee away from babies. Although it’s a man made fibre, it feels soft against the skin so hopefully it will be comfortable. Worth a try anyway. :) I’ll give the fleece liners a go too (I have a blanket earmarked for that purpose, I just have to settle on a liner size before I get the scissors out).

Dancing mum – I think Little Lamb were selling bamboo terries on eBay as seconds a few months ago because the factory had made some mistakes (sewing the wrong labels in etc.), but they don’t seem to have them listed any more. They still have some “seconds” cotton terries listed on eBay in three different sizes. I believe they have a big sale every September (available via their facebook page before it hits their website), which may be worth a look.

Kim – yes, sounds like it may be the same kind of thing.

:)

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds