hf1

Using terry/prefolds with pocket wraps

My avatar
gizmopatch
Clothie
Clothie

Using terry/prefolds with pocket wraps

Postby gizmopatch » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:20 am

Hi everyone,new here and due my first little baba in june. Really wanting to cloth nappy but overwhelmed by the choice and different types out there.

I have the option of buying some pocket nappy wraps and inserts for quite cheap off a friend of a friend but also really like the idea of using terrys/prefolds.
Question is can I use the pocket nappy wraps over the terrys/prefolds nappies or do i have to buy separate wraps?
Sorry if this seems like a really obvious question!!!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Using terry/prefolds with pocket wraps

Postby confusinglady » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:00 pm

Welcome to the tree! There is never a silly question. :thumbsup:

The world of cloth nappying is even more complicated than when I started using them 8 years ago, I think we can all sympathise!

The simple answer is yes you can use the pocket wrap bit with prefolds or terries.
However, the pocket wraps are designed to fit an insert , usually a lot slimmer than a prefold or folded terry so if you stuffed that in the pocket it may effect the fit and you may get leaks. If you want to use over the top a prefold usually works better in a wrap with a gusset ( an extra bit of material at the leg hole) to keep it in place and catch poo.
Terries are bulkier than pockets it may not cover well.
There's no reason why you can't try, cloth nappying is all about finding what works for you and little one anyway.

Having used pockets, terries and prefolds I d recomend all 3 and having a mixture in your stash. Pockets were the most unreliable for us as they always leaked due to mine being heavy wetters. A two part system is what I would always opt for personally but everyone is different and every child is different.

The only other issue that comes to mind is that as I said earlier a prefold sits better in a gussested wrap ( eg thirsties, motherease Riki, nature babies) and terries and other fitteds are better in non gusseted wraps ( eg mother ease airflow) as their bulk is in a different ace.

Hope that helps!

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:58 pm

Welcome :wave:
I have tried using a pocket over a flat and it did work, however I would prefer a real wrap

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:10 pm

gizmopatch wrote:Hi everyone,new here and due my first little baba in june. Really wanting to cloth nappy but overwhelmed by the choice and different types out there.

Congratulations and welcome to the tree @gizmopatch :widesmile: it can be so overwhelming to start with. Have you had a look at some of the basic info articles to get you started, they are worth a read through?
http://www.clothnappytree.com/infos.php

I agree with Marie that a separate wrap is a good idea, you can certainly use terries and prefolds very successfully but my advice would be to get the best wraps you can. Motherease are bombproof (although not the prettiest), Nature Babies are great, I also like Thristies as a few to look at. There are always preloved wraps in classsifieds so that you can try out a few different types without a huge outlay :D

confusinglady wrote:There is never a silly question. :thumbsup:

Just what Nic said - and ask away that is what we are here for!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:46 pm

How many pockets do you have ?

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:07 am

I know that alot of clothmamas also use the prefolds as inserts in the pockets :)
Regarding wraps for prefolds I really liked the Thirsties duo size 1 - never had a leak :thumbsup:

One of my cloth nappy advice would be not to have just one system - because you don't know what you like until you try it. We thought that we would use flats with covers (wool and pul) in the beginning. But no matter how we folded the flats they did not hold up and in those first weeks I just did not want to wash wool covers every day :giggle:
We ended up with primarily fitteds and some different pockets :) with number 3 we are doing prefolds, fitteds, covers (wool and pul) and some different kinds of pockets and AIOs for easy nappying and grandmas :)

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds