Newborn - terry or muslins

My avatar
TheNatty
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Newborn - terry or muslins

Postby TheNatty » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:36 pm

hi guys

i am expecting my third baby in july, wanting to start off by using my newborn wraps and muslins/terrys until my BGs (dd currently in) fit well. i estimate once the newborn wraps are too small will be about the right time to change over,

so..

do i buy muslins squares or terries?
i was thinking that the muslins would get much more use out of them but will they work on a newborn as a nappy? also didnt see the point of buying terries to use for a month tops.

what do you guys think? ive always put my newborns in disposables at first but feeling more confident this time round.

also best place to get them either new/second hand

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Newborn - terry or muslins

Postby flutterby » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:43 pm

TBH I found that BGs fitted beautifully from birth! But if you want to use flat nappies then I personally wouldn't bother with muslins, we used 40cm bamboo squares too, which made lovely trim nappies when DD was NB, and they are very useful now, we use them to stuff pockets or for her to lie on for nappy free time!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:49 pm

I bought both but only ended up using the terries as nappies. I got 50cm bamboo terries. We still use them now as pocket inserts so they were a great buy. Babykind sells bamboo terries in 3 sizes.

My avatar
cherobanne
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby cherobanne » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:52 pm

Yep, I'd go with bamboo terries as they'll still get lots of use for stuffing pockets later on

My avatar
TheNatty
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby TheNatty » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:17 am

thank you :)

My avatar
Marion
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Marion » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:08 pm

Just to be different :) , can i say i used muslins (disana organic unbleached muslins) on my dd for the first 7 weeks and they were fab. what i most loved about the muslins was that because muslin is so light, you could feel (and see) how much wee and poo was done. so it was a very natural and easy way to keep track of the baby's health. i never needed to use a thermometer. also, muslins dry really quickly (i bought one pack and washed every day, but wish i'd bought 2 packs).
having said that, i also bought bamboo terries which i still use on the change table and as a change mat when out.
marion :)

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:42 pm

I am a 40cm bamboo square lover! They fitted so perfectly and they are still in use as boosters! We also have muslins, but they are comforters and have never been used as a nappy.

My avatar
TheNatty
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby TheNatty » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:41 am

yeah i was thinking that muslins would be a good idea as they do dry litrally overnight.
everything i have thats bamboo for my daughter takes ages to dry.

i have tons of inserts already, mf, hemp, bamboo, cotton, so i dont think i would use the terrys as inserts :-?
and they are expensive, i could get 30 muslins for less then 20 quid, and then use them for mopping up spills and bibs etc

hmm....

anyone else used muslins as nappys?

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:32 am

I used them for Harriet in the first couple of weeks but they weren't very absorbant and we did get a few leaks. It could have been the wraps we used though as we had the bambino mio system :-? .

Next

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds