different brands of terry squares

My avatar
Rutella
Clothie
Clothie

different brands of terry squares

Postby Rutella » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:15 am

Hi everyone :idea:
I am a newbie to this whole malarky as my first baby isn't due till november, but am keen to use cloth. I have a mixture of nappies to try out but want some terry squares too. What I was wondering is are the different brands very different in quality? And if so does that matter a great deal? The brands I have seen the most have been junior joy, whitebots (and brightbots), nature babies and little ewe.
Thanks for your help!!

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: different brands of terry squares

Postby dawnsmummy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:59 pm

I have both Mothercare's and JJ's squares and I much prefer the JJ ones. They're fluffier (after less washes!) and I find slightly larger. They both take the same time to dry, and the JJ ones were cheaper (I paid £15 for 12 JJ, and £9.99 for 6 MC!)

Can I just suggest Nappi Nippas (Snappi nappis) to you too? They're brilliant inventions! I hate using pins because my DD is such a wriggler and is normally running while I put her nappy on :hohoho: So with the Nippa and Snappi I know I'm not pinning the nappy to her legs! You can normally get them for about £1.50 each or £3something for 3pack. Sometimes people are offering them FFP on here too.

And try the origami fold for a newborn. I'm sure others can suggest folds, as I didn't really use terrys till DD was older, but I was showing my friend diff folds and she said that the origami fold seemed the best for a newborn. But don't quote me to that! Google 'terry nappy folds' or 'terry diaper folds' and you'll get TONS of sites :)

[ETA: Sorry, it's not Origami fold (Brain not working) it's the bat/chinese fold. Here: http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/public/ar ... spx?id=146
A lot of people also reccoemend the Jo fold. Here: http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/public/ar ... spx?id=141
But it all depends on the shape of you LO :)

HTH
Stacey

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:12 pm

I've got Mothercare and Boots own-brand. I love my Boots ones, but TBH think the Mothercare ones are rubbish. You can see the difference in quality just by looking at them :evil:
I loved my terries on my DD as a newborn, though they're a bit on the bulky side. We used the Jo fold Stacey mentioned before moving on to Gaynors fold for girls http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/public/articledetails.aspx?id=172. If you have a boy I think the Chinese fold is supposed to be good.

I think it saved me a fortune in having to buy loads of different sizes of nappies as most of the mediums and one size I've bought will do her till she's PTing. And we still use them as night nappies with a muslin square folded a hundred times (not literally :giggle: ) as a booster. I'd definitely recomend Nappy Nippas too, much better than sticking your wriggly newborn with a pin :(
HTH

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:55 pm

indigosky2k wrote:I've got Mothercare and Boots own-brand. I love my Boots ones, but TBH think the Mothercare ones are rubbish. You can see the difference in quality just by looking at them :evil:
I loved my terries on my DD as a newborn, though they're a bit on the bulky side. We used the Jo fold Stacey mentioned before moving on to Gaynors fold for girls http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/public/articledetails.aspx?id=172. If you have a boy I think the Chinese fold is supposed to be good.

I think it saved me a fortune in having to buy loads of different sizes of nappies as most of the mediums and one size I've bought will do her till she's PTing. And we still use them as night nappies with a muslin square folded a hundred times (not literally :giggle: ) as a booster. I'd definitely recomend Nappy Nippas too, much better than sticking your wriggly newborn with a pin :(
HTH

My MC ones are awful too. I've started cutting mine up to make fitteds with!
I've tried the gaynor's fold. But I can't get the fold to stay in the back (at the top?) when I put it on Dawn. Otherwise it would be a perfect fold for us!
And I never knew you could use muslins as a night booster. Must remember that! :)

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:04 am

we use mothercare saqures when we want somethign slim never tried a boots one are they alot thicker we got 2 little ewe one but they are big on

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:33 am

dawnsmummy wrote:
indigosky2k wrote:I've got Mothercare and Boots own-brand. I love my Boots ones, but TBH think the Mothercare ones are rubbish. You can see the difference in quality just by looking at them :evil:

HTH

My MC ones are awful too. I've started cutting mine up to make fitteds with!
I've tried the gaynor's fold. But I can't get the fold to stay in the back (at the top?) when I put it on Dawn. Otherwise it would be a perfect fold for us!
And I never knew you could use muslins as a night booster. Must remember that! :)

Yea it does stick out a bit at the back, but I just stick the wrap over quickly and ignore it :giggle: I'm going to dye alot of my terries and cut them up into wipes now I've got into fitteds and pockets :D

babyjjbaby wrote:we use mothercare saqures when we want somethign slim never tried a boots one are they alot thicker we got 2 little ewe one but they are big on

Yea I like using the MC ones if I need a smaller bum for a pair of jeans say. Well not me, but DD :giggle: I'll never have a smaller bum :hohoho: I think the Boots ones are MUCH thicker, like I say you can tell just by looking and they don't seem to get nearly as soaked as the MC ones. They do make a nice chunky bum though, but I can squish them into a Size 1 Little Lamb wrap.

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:47 am

oh think ineed to go to boots and get some then even tho i don't neeeed any lol

My avatar
Rutella
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Rutella » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:14 am

Ooooh thanks for the tips! I have one nappi nippa already that came in a trial pack from my council (along with the most gorgeous bamboo terry square) and have been having fun using it on my poor teddy bear :D
Good to know about the differences b/w boots and mothercare terries, does anyone here use the nature babies ones as I saw them online for a not-too-expensive price (though still more than boots) and was wondering if they were worth it?
I watched youtube vids for the jo fold and gaynor fold...is it wrong that I had lots of fun folding them up and putting on the bear :giggle:

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:36 am

indigosky2k wrote:
dawnsmummy wrote:I've tried the gaynor's fold. But I can't get the fold to stay in the back (at the top?) when I put it on Dawn. Otherwise it would be a perfect fold for us!

Yea it does stick out a bit at the back, but I just stick the wrap over quickly and ignore it :giggle:

I don't mind it sticking out a bit :) What I mean is that the folded bit un folds itself when I try and put it on dd. I safety pinned it once but it didn't look comfy having a pin on her back :giggle: I've been thinking of sewing a bit of velcro or putting a snap on it lol

Rutella wrote:I watched youtube vids for the jo fold and gaynor fold...is it wrong that I had lots of fun folding them up and putting on the bear :giggle:

Hahaha! No! My DD runs away for nappy changes (Which is why I'm cutting my terries up into fitteds) so if I didnt attack her teddies with terry squares I wouldn't get to have any folding fun! :hohoho:

Next

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds