hf1

Muslins leaking around legs.....

My avatar
Marion
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Muslins leaking around legs.....

Postby Marion » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:50 pm

we also had frequent leaks with muslins, but jasmin was always kicking her legs about and i couldn't put the muslins on nicely as i wanted to. you could try using 2 muslins together to improve absorbancy. we just used a simple fold (don't know the name), by folding the muslin in half, and then in half again to make a triangle.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Muslins leaking around legs.....

Postby ems » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:08 pm

When I used muslins I used to do a similar fold to this where you set it similar to a prefold and then roll in the edges.. so basically, fold int hte corners as you do now , and as if your going to then fold into thirds.. instead of folding.. When baby is lying down on the muslin , roll the sides in at an angle and fasten the same way as you normally would. I used muslins with a roll edge until baba was around 2 months old .. you need to do it tight enough at the legs for any of the flats to work effieciently, and knowing how much the nappy moves and how tight you can get it, comes with practice.
I started with a single muslin.. then went to two musins folded together then I used them as boosters to the nappies I then made. Good quality muslins are a fabulous absorbent nappy, and folded right you can get the same amount of layers as you would in a prefold. ie the origami fold.. which is great on newborns with a muslin.. not quite so great for containment though!!!!

Another thing is to make the initial square more of a rectangle shape to allow enough muslin to be folded over at the back to produce another *poo envelope* ..

.. like this... http://www.littleturtleknits.com/sidewallpf.htm

Stretchier fabrics work well .. as they give the elasticity throughout the fabric for a really great fit ;)

ps.. I LOVE flat nappies ;)

Previous

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds