Terries and Prefold for a chunky toddler

My avatar
Mum22
Clothie
Clothie

Terries and Prefold for a chunky toddler

Postby Mum22 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:47 am

Hi,

My DD, 21 months, is on the chunky side and up until now I have mainly used Little Lamb Bamboo, Fuzzis and Nature Babies pockets.

The trouble is she's getting to the end of these, size wise, and I really don't want to spend loads on more nappies as she may be out of them in a few months, as she's showing signs of wanting to use her potty.

I was given a load of terries and prefolds ages ago which I've never used. So I was wondering what peoples experiences of these were and how effective they are for toddlers? I've tried a couple of times with the prefolds but can't seem to keep them in one place and I can't find a good terry fold. I know most people don't like prefolds and I'm not a great fan myself but it if saves me money. :D

Anyway any advice or hints welcomed, otherwise I can feel my wallet and the for sale board calling. :lol:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:19 pm

I use the good old kite fold for Phebie (18mths) occasionally I might use a booster or two if shes going to be in it for awhile. I really do like my terries though and go through phases were thats all I'll use for a few days :D

**http://www.natureschild.com.au/flex/nappies/19/1 (about half way down)

I found this site good for when I want to try some different folds.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:57 pm

I wouldn't recommend prefolds for this age unless you have a REALLY light wetter... Isabelle would out wee one in about an hour I think - and that's the large ones! I've not tried the HUGE toddler prefolds...

Terries - you could try, but if she's anything like Isabelle I think I'd struggle to get them to fit well so that a) they'd go round and b)there would be decent bulk in the middle...

No good suggestions tho' sorry :?

My avatar
Mum22
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Mum22 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:19 pm

Yes, that's the problem I'm finding with terries. By the time I've folded it so it goes round her rather rotund tummy and then put enough padding in to make it absorbent enough she can hardly walk.

I'm wondering if I can put my sewing skills to the test and create some sort of nappy with the terries and prefolds. I did this when DD was little and they worked well, not the most attractive nappy, but hey, it's under a wrap anyway. :lol:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:43 pm

I bought 6 terries last winter and loved them but as he to around 1 year I just couldn't get a fold that I liked, can't even remember the last time I used them now. Will be watching this post with interest to see if anyone knows of any!! Louis is 20 months now.

My avatar
ruby
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby ruby » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:02 pm

Hi - this site has some good tips on sewing **http://www.diapersewing.com/prefold_to_fitted.htm
I haven't actually tried this myself, but it seems fairly straightforward.
If you decide to give it a go, let us know how you get on!

My avatar
Mum22
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Mum22 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:11 am

Well DD went to bed early last night so I got the sewing machine out and had a go with some terries and prefolds. And here is the result

I cut the terry into a nappy shape and then cut the prefold. I sewed some elastic along the edge and back and then sewed the two bits together. I then attached some velcro. I left the back open so I could add a booster if needed, which I made from the off cuts of the terry .

As you can see it isn't the prettiest of nappy but it fits DD nicely and it'll be under a wrap anyway. Now I've just got to test it, or I should say DD's got to test it.

If it works I've got a pile of old terries and prefolds, so I'll be a bit busy at the sewing machine me thinks. :lol:

My avatar
ginchyworld
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby ginchyworld » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:12 am

Hey, that looks fab. I've done similar with some newborn sized terries, sewn them into fitteds. They work fine.

Bella is 19 months now, and I find 60cm bamboo terries in a kite fold work as well as a fitted for us, but we're also catching quite a lot of wees on the loo as well, so she's not stretching them to full capacity IFKWIM!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:24 am

You know what that looks really good!

Let us know how it performs won't you!

Very talented lady :)

Next

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds