hf1

best terries

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

best terries

Postby littlesez » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:02 am

Would lpove to know the best terries for using as nappies

1 cotton

2 bamboo

:wink:

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: best terries

Postby angelsquidge » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:27 am

I always used to use Little Ewe's on my DS but I've no idea if they're still around. We had the blue and yellow dyed cotton ones and the natural ones.

I did have a couple of bamboo ones which were lovely but didnt last us long as they were small and can't remember at all who they were.

Not really helpful lol!

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: best terries

Postby gayleygoo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:40 pm

I got some bamboo terries from eco-earth fabrics and they're so soft and squishy!! I got 40cm unbleached ones, and 50cm white ones. TBH I've not really tried any others, and I haven't got a tiny bum to put these on yet! But they were a reasonable price and the paper label on them was plantable, so it will grow seeds if I ever find a pot of soil for it :D

I had mothercare cotton terries, which were pretty terrible - I've had thicker muslin squares!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Re: best terries

Postby littlesez » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:08 pm

gayleygoo wrote:I got some bamboo terries from eco-earth fabrics and they're so soft and squishy!! I got 40cm unbleached ones, and 50cm white ones. TBH I've not really tried any others, and I haven't got a tiny bum to put these on yet! But they were a reasonable price and the paper label on them was plantable, so it will grow seeds if I ever find a pot of soil for it :D

I had mothercare cotton terries, which were pretty terrible - I've had thicker muslin squares!


Thanks yes we had the mothercare ones :roll: The eco earth look good :D

My avatar
ChristinePlush
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: best terries

Postby ChristinePlush » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:40 pm

Depends a bit on what you need from them, when you say which are the best do you mean thickest, most absorbent, longest lasting?

Junior Joy terries - similar to Mothercare for thickness but last much better, good for birth to potty, great value, may need boosting for older ones.

Bright Bots terries - better quality, a bit thicker and softer, available as white or coloured nappies, the coloured ones are good fun and a bit different.

Nature Babies - slimmer fitting terries, they do a newborn size which is fantastic and can be used as a booster for bigger terries later if you just fold into a pad. The edges are overlocked rather than bound which means they will give a slimmer profile as bound edges do add bulk.

Bamboo terries - very soft, slim and absorbent, but more expensive than cotton, don't tumble dry them. Bamboo in a single layer is fast drying so shouldn't need to anyway. We've got 2 options at the moment, the Nature Babies ones ar 50cm and overlocked edges, good for starting out with, and the Tots Bots ones are 60cm with bound edges, so more of a birth to potty option.

Little Ewes were lovely, quite thick and absorbent and soft, the closest we have available now would be the Iobio terries which are also organic cotton.

HTH - it does help when you can see and feel them to appreciate the quality difference. But I'd say if you're looking for Little Ewes quality you would like Iobio, or possibly the Whitebots (by Bright Bots).

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: best terries

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:00 pm

ChristinePlush wrote:Bamboo terries - very soft, slim and absorbent, but more expensive than cotton, don't tumble dry them.

Why not...

Mine are always tumbled (too crunchy if not) and I've never had any problems with them...

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: best terries

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:01 pm

Just to add that I don't like terries with bound edges I prefer overlocked edges - bound edges are a bit bulky if you're using them as inserts...

My avatar
ChristinePlush
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: best terries

Postby ChristinePlush » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:50 am

Some bamboo fibre loses it's ability to nippa if it's been tumble dried a lot on a high setting, so if you're tumble drying bamboo use the low or medium heat setting. You can still pin them if this happens though.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: best terries

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:52 am

ChristinePlush wrote:Some bamboo fibre loses it's ability to nippa if it's been tumble dried a lot on a high setting, so if you're tumble drying bamboo use the low or medium heat setting. You can still pin them if this happens though.

Ah fair enough I'd forgotten about that but they do that if you wash at 60 anyway...
I'd never tumble nappies (or anything really) on the high heat...
But to be fair I use terries as inserts so it never occurred to me :giggle:

Next

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds