Prefold for runny poo?

My avatar
nappymania
Clothie
Clothie

Prefold for runny poo?

Postby nappymania » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:24 pm

Hi,
I would use prefolds for my nb, my idea is to fold them with "angel fold" and cover with Thirstie wraps XS. Can this solution contain runny poo of bf baby? I heard that prefolds leaking continuosly with nb...
Anyone has experience?

Thanks to everyone!
Silvia xx

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Prefold for runny poo?

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:41 pm

Prefolds leaked loads for us using the basic pad-fold but with a good wrap it shouldn't reach the clothes...

I used the angel-fold for prefolds before we bought fitteds and it's MUCH more reliable... Are you going to use a napy nippa or secure with pins or just use the wrap to hold it in place?

Personally I still don't like prefolds and you probably won't find many people on here who do like them even on a newborn but it's a pretty sensible option for the first 3-4 months minimum really as they grow so quickly that small and medium nappies just don't get the use that large ones do...
OTOH you can pickup some lovely tiny fitteds on the classifieds when you look...

The other downside is as they legs aren't elasticated like fitted nappies are you're more likely to get leaks but again a good wrap should stop that but you might need a few more wraps than you would with fitteds...

I've no experience with Thirsties wraps but we used Motherease Rikki and Weenotions wraps on Grace (both bomb-proof) - I'd steer clear of blueberry wraps unless they're over a trim fitted as I found they gaped a lot round the legs especially on a newborn...

My avatar
Mock
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Mock » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:44 pm

I use all bv prefolds and have never had a leak with the jellyroll, even with explosive breastmilk poo. Only use longies here so can't comment on wraps.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:22 pm

I was going to recomend the jellyroll fold too...

I also liked the angel wing fold and secured it with either pins or a nappy nippa :)

I loved prefolds on my daughter and after we fell out of love with pockets at 8 months old that was pretty much all we used...prefolds with a couple of little lambs thrown in :)

I liked thirsties wraps and mortherease airfows too...

My avatar
holmes2974
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby holmes2974 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:06 pm

After using two parters for my first little girl, I used prefolds for my second for the first few months as I was given some secondhand. Much to my surprise, I really liked them and still use them to fall back on when all the pretty ones are in the wash!
I used the angel fold with Little lamb wraps, and that worked really well for us.

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Prefolds put me off cloth altogether for a few months :oops: as I was fed up with leaky bf poo, although in fairness it was contained within the wraps and didn't often make it onto clothes. But I think I must've been alot more confident second time round, although I used two-parters in the early days I do still use prefolds as stay at home nappies from time to time.

My avatar
nappymania
Clothie
Clothie

Postby nappymania » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:37 pm

Thanks girls for your experiences!
I think I will use Jellyroll fold, and secured it with a nappy nippa... About Thirstie wraps I heard good things (finger crossed!)...
However I've just bought 4 fitted size small from the classified (2 MEOS and 2 bumhuggers Ella's house), and also 5 little lamb size 2 (I hope can use this size soon, perhaps fold down the front and fasten it with a nappy nippa...), to use as night nappies, I hope they work well! After I will use my pocket (BumGenius V3.0), and I will use prefolds as inserts...

I hope to be able to use cloth nappies!!!!!

Thank you sooooo much!!! Have a nice weekend!!!

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:33 pm

Good luck :D . One thing about MEOS, although it's a one-size nappy so technically ok to use right from the start, it is very wide in the crotch. I've used them on both boys, and although reliable with a ME wrap, they've never been a favourite. If you can get a few size 1 little lambs I think you'd prefer them to MEOS. I've always found them more absorbant too, and a trimmer fit. And definitely have more of a cute squidgy bum factor to them :wink:

My avatar
[patchwork]
Clothie
Clothie

Postby [patchwork] » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:50 pm

Carrying on from this topic is there any point using liners in nappies for newbies? I hate fleece liners and disposables... I think I might need to get a nippa thing just in case we have leakages that they could prevent?

Next

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds