hf1

40cm or 50cm squares?

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

40cm or 50cm squares?

Postby Sunset » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:13 pm

I'm planning on using cloth from day one this time, as it must have been from about 6wks with DS. I had Diddy's and Sandy's for him but just found them too big on a newborn so I've decided to go for terry squares but I can't make my mind up what size to get.
If I get the 40cm will he grow out them far too quick or if I go for the 50cm will I be put off by the bulk on a newborn?
I plan to get bamboo squares so I can use them to stuff my pockets with later on.

DS was 7lb 6 at birth but did put on weight quick and we were out of size 1's by about 4mths

Thanks ladies x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: 40cm or 50cm squares?

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:00 pm

To be honest both 50 and 40cm terries will be big and bulky on a newborn...

Have you looked at Bimbles? Lovely fit on a newborn...

My avatar
ktinkley
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ktinkley » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:03 pm

Or you could try the disana tie ons - I havent used them but they're supposed to be good boosted with muslins for newborns.

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:13 pm

I had some 40cm squares for Poppy and like most other newborn nappies they were pretty bulky but not overly so.. I did prefer using fitteds though and as Steph said bimbles/bambeasies are lovely and fit really well. Poppy was in newborn nappies for around three months (she was 7lb 6oz born) and then we went to small/mediums depending on the brand as she grew quite slowly.

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:51 pm

For some reason I thought they'd be trimmer, doh! :giggle:

I had some bimbles with DS but never got on with the fit. Maybe this time I'll be more used to big bums seeing as DS has 24" hips in his night nappies :giggle:

My avatar
ChristinePlush
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby ChristinePlush » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:42 pm

I used 60cm terries on mine from birth (7lbs babies) but you do get the teletubby look. If you're planning to use bamboo ones then you'll find them a bit less bulky, depends how you fold them really.

If you want to get through the first 3 months or so then 40cm should just about do it, if you want to get a bit longer from them get the 50cm size.

Christine

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:55 pm

I've used 40cm bamboo terries on Summer and Noah from birth and didn't find them bulky at all, but I find diddy diapers quite trim too, DS2 is over 9lb, but I'd be happy to do pics of a 40cm terry for you

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:02 pm

flutterby wrote:I've used 40cm bamboo terries on Summer and Noah from birth and didn't find them bulky at all, but I find diddy diapers quite trim too, DS2 is over 9lb, but I'd be happy to do pics of a 40cm terry for you

Well I took the plunge and bought some 40cm bamboo terries and they're really trim. I've folded a few and tried them out on DD dolls :giggle: and they're a lovely fit. I'll be getting some more as I'm due in Nov and will have two in cloth with no garden so drying time is a key issue and these dry really quick.

Thanks for the offer of a pic though hun :hug: I must say I did find your thread with Noah in all the different nappies really helpful though.

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds