hf1

Talk to me about prefolds :) (Tory?)

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Talk to me about prefolds :) (Tory?)

Postby HighlandMum » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:57 am

I have quite a few that i aquired through my local nappy scheme, but i havent actually used them :oops: They were second hand. Tory has spoken about how she uses them on Kieren with a wrap under normal clothes so i fancy giving it a go. Can someone point me in the direction of how to fold one properly?

Also, if i use prefolds on the new baby do they have to be teeny ones rather than the ones i have?

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Talk to me about prefolds :) (Tory?)

Postby choccylisa » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:00 am

What size/colour edging do you have? Here's a few different ways - http://www.kittykins.co.uk/advice/id/20, I used terry squares on Kellan for the first year with a motherease wrap over and normal clothes and I didn;t have any leaks and he seems quite happy. Managed to get him in the right size trousers too :giggle:

ETA I've got some prefolds I'm going to use this time at first so I'll be interested in any other ways of folding :D

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:58 am

google prefold folds and theres a site called 'so-n-so's cloth diaper site' or something. has photo tutorials (sorry forgot ladies name and on mob so cant link)

eta, ignore me. totally wrong lol. its diaperpages.com

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:17 am

:idea: Jenna!

Right here are a fe pic tutorials for folding and using with pins/nippa~
http://diaperpages.com/pf_folds.php

But i tend to use the green edged Junior joy or the blue edged ones and lay it flat, fold 1" down (on green) and about 4" (on blue) down and then use the 'newspaper' fold in that link but fold the whole nappy into 3rds if that makes sense? so you end up with a straight 'pad' to go into a nappy...sort of a cross between the newspaper fold and the 'pad fold ( http://www.kittykins.co.uk/advice/id/21 ). then just lay it in the wrap and put it on...I find the green edged ones way less bulky than the blue edged ones though :)

The amount you would need to fold down would depend on sandy really, i have played with it and found whats best length wise for Kieren.

ETA for a particulary trim way i use a green and fold it into thirds but width way not length ways (so the oposit way to how all the tutorials show you if that maes sense...then you dont need to fold anything down but obv there isnt as much padding at the front.

ETAA, i really like the thirsties dup wraps from kittykins, free postage too :)

My avatar
HighlandMum
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby HighlandMum » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:59 pm

Cheers mdears :) Im at work just now but will check what kind they are when im at home tomorow. They are quite stiff some of them, will they soften up in the dryer? I would imagine a couple of washes in our super soft water will help too.

Tory does Kieren stay still for you to fold them up or are you such an expert you manage it super quick? Sandy is a nightmare now at nappy changes, he is rolling or crawling off straight away lol.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:26 am

HighlandMum wrote:Cheers mdears :) Im at work just now but will check what kind they are when im at home tomorow. They are quite stiff some of them, will they soften up in the dryer? I would imagine a couple of washes in our super soft water will help too.

Tory does Kieren stay still for you to fold them up or are you such an expert you manage it super quick? Sandy is a nightmare now at nappy changes, he is rolling or crawling off straight away lol.

yep wash them fresh and tumble dry them, they come out all quilty...i really have got the prefold love :wink:

He does stay quite still but then h change him up on the change mat on the unit so he cant just crawl off :oops: :giggle: But i tend to prepare...so i tri fold the prefold into a wrap before i start changing him, so i literally just swap one nappy for another...pretty much like you would with a pocket or anything :D But i did use prefolds with Megan and have done for a fair while with Kieren...i dont find them difficult at all :wink:

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds