hf1

Prefolds for small baby?

My avatar
greengoddess
Clothie
Clothie

Prefolds for small baby?

Postby greengoddess » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:43 pm

I have a prefold/wrap question for my newborn, who arrived five weeks early and about three pounds lighter than we were all predicting, so he won't fit into the wraps we have for him.... unless he wears them as a dress! But I have some Thirsties Duos and newborn sized wraps on their way. I also have size 1 bamboo prefolds to put into the wraps, but when I fold them up, they look ENORMOUS against him - again, they seem to cover most of his skinny little body!

I've looked at heaps of websites to get ideas about folding prefolds, but all the ones I've tried are all so big on him. I'd prefer to nippa them rather than just lay them in - in the "tests" I've done so far, this seems to contain things better for him.

My question is whether or not there is a clever way to folds these prefolds into a shape suitable for a weenie baby, or should I just stick to "Plan B", which is just to use a variety of boosters in the wraps from the pocket nappies that are ready for him for when he gets bigger. I can then "graduate" to the prefolds when he gets a little bigger.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

GG

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Prefolds for small baby?

Postby megansmummy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:47 pm

:idea:

http://www.babykind.co.uk do newborn prefolds from swaddlees that i used on my last newborn, they fit WAAAAY better than green edged junior joys ones etc on a weeny baby and he was 7.7lbs at birth...i think with a baby that small anything is going to be bulky really :-? The handy thing about the newborn prefolds is that you can use them as boosters when he outgrows them :wink:
http://www.babykind.co.uk/flatnappies.htm#prefolds

ETA the thirsties duo 1's are nice and small on the smallest setting, i just got 4 for bump and they are very cute! I love the size 2's on my son aswell, they are lovely wraps!
Weehuggers wraps (also on babykind) also come in size 1 and im thinking of getting a couple of those too...very cute prints :wink:

congrats on your new baby!! :wine:

My avatar
greengoddess
Clothie
Clothie

Postby greengoddess » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks, megansmummy!

I looked up the Swaddlebees newborn prefolds and they're the same size as the prefolds I have (give or take a cm), so technically these should be the right size for now. I'll keep experimenting till I find a good fit - I saw your post with the different folds, and it's very useful. I might practice on a teddy until my boy stops being so wriggly (he'd be find for actual nappy changes, but I'm sure he won't agree to being a guinea pig no matter how well intentioned his Mummy is!).

Thanks again!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:11 pm

which prefolds do you already have? (im always on the look out for new ones to try! :giggle: ) you could try folding down a inch or so at the back of the prefold and at the front if needed which might get rid of the some of the height of them if you see what i mean?

My avatar
greengoddess
Clothie
Clothie

Postby greengoddess » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:55 pm

I have bamboo prefolds from Eco Earth Nappies - they are super luxurious and seem nice and absorbent. Folding them down might be an option - I just don't want them to be too bulky (well, more than cloth normally are) - he already looks dominated by them, but then he's only just cracked the 3kg mark!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:54 am

oh bless him :giggle:

The other option is to fold them the 'wrong way' if you see what i mean? it will make the nappy shorter, so instead of folding it long ways, with the nappy laid vertically turn the prefold horizonatally and fold it the wrong way, i do that sometimes with my LO to get a trimmer fit, still not sure if it will make much difference on your little one since he is so tiny but its worth a try :)

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby confusinglady » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:46 pm

Hiya, have you tried any variations on the bikini fold ( I think that s what it s called) where it twists between the legs? If you fold down the back and front to the right height you can then nippa it around the waist. It might spread the material out a bit more so not too bulky in one place. Hard to explain in words!
I did it with my LO but she wasn t as small as yours!

Nic :)

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds