hf1

Bambino mio

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Bambino mio

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:01 pm

I found that on a small baby the absorbency wasn't much good for the size, we had to change every 1.5hrs and even then she was soaked through... And the bigger ones were way too bulky on her between the legs (admittedly I didn't know about different folds or nippa'ing though) and I still find for a prefold their absorbency isn't great...

I think with proper advice about folds, nippa-ing and boosting, some decent boosters and some decent wraps they could be ok...

Their wraps aren't great because the aplix is very bulky and the ones we had were cotton outer so wicked...

My avatar
BingBongBoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby BingBongBoo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:07 am

I know a lot of people hate them but it depends on your baby, I think, and how much they wee. I use prefolds about 70 % of the time and have a few BMs in my stash. They're not my fav prefold but they are perfectly functional. A tri folded BM prefold can last a good couple of hours even on my super heavy wetter. I hate the wraps though - I couldn't get a good fit on DD and the velcro tabs left marks on her tummy. Thirsties, flips or bummis make much better wraps for prefolds IMO.

Having said this, my SIL uses BMs exclusively on her LO (now 11 months) and has done since birth. If you use a nappy nippa, the poo containment on a newborn isn't bad at all. She also has a medium wetter and never get leaks with them (even at night).

So, I would say that they're worth a try (especially if they were free!) As long as you make your friend aware of her other options, I don't think they'd put her off cloth. And If you do get on with them they are a good option - cheap and chearful!

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby shoogah01 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:46 am

we used BM's on Aimie from birth until 6 months and I found them very fiddly.
we never really had many problems with them but OH always seemed to put them on wrong so they leaked every time for him :roll:

the biggest problem we had was the wraps because they discoloured really quickly and some of them ended up with their outer coming away from the PUL. I'm not sure how they get on with older babies but by 6 months old the large sized wraps were getting a bit snug on her but she is a pretty big girl (in large everything from 6months :lol:) and they would need to be boosted to cope on her

ETA the picture and also say I found they wee a bit trimmer in the bigger sizes :-?

My avatar
clothpixie
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clothpixie » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:40 am

I use bambino mio prefolds with thirstie wraps and they are fine for us but then again Michael isn't a particularly heavy wetter.
I think a good wrap is essential also though.

My avatar
joeli
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby joeli » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:48 am

I think Steph said that the prefolds I have with the light purple edging are bambino mio. I love them. They are our only prefolds to stay soft. If I need them to last more then a few hours I just put a slim booster (terry or bamboo or even hemp) in the middle then trifold and place in a wrap (flip or weehuggers). We've had no problems with them absorbancy wise, boosted or unboosted.

My avatar
angielizzy
Clothie
Clothie

Postby angielizzy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:25 pm

I use bambino mio and think they are fine. I have a few makes of prefolds from when i had my dd and mine last ages on my ds who wees loads. (not the wraps tho they make them leak) I fold mine into 4 or use a nipper some of the new types of perfolds are much thiner tho

My avatar
AAMum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby AAMum » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:21 pm

My friend has used these exclusively on her LO who is now 2 and had no problems whatsoever.

N x

My avatar
babiesgalore+1more
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby babiesgalore+1more » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:11 pm

I found them good for a newborn so I bought small too but as soon as there was a substantial amount of wee the wraps would wick after only a couple of hours and so I would end up having to change the whole nappy rather than just the prefold. Ended up going on to totsbots and was happy. I think they are ok for a new baby but given my time again I wouldn't have bothered with mio wraps.

Previous

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds