New to prefold, please guide me

My avatar
ameliepoulin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

New to prefold, please guide me

Postby ameliepoulin » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:30 am

Hello ladies,

I am a newbee to cloth in general and willing to try several options, the prefold being one of them. I am due end of May in a hot climate (so drying time not an issue), and I would like to know what prefold would suit best a new born. I want something simple yet reliable, I am prepared for the worst (heavy wetter, BF poo explosions). How many would I need, you reckon, in the first months, I am also considering alternating AIOs and fitteds.

Many thanks in advance,
C

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: New to prefold, please guide me

Postby Sally » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:20 am

As a guide for a worst case senario my LO used to need changing due to poo explosions about 15 times a day so we needed 30 minimum and washed daily. I used a mix of fitteds, pockets and aio
I prefer the slimness and softness of bamboo velour or hemp jersey prefolds on a newborn I'd most likely go for thirstie size 1 as they are so slim but will last for pad folding too when older but as they are more expensive I'd get some swaddle bee organic cotton newborn to boost your stash too or if you know some one with a machine make up a load of bamboo velour ones or bamboo fleece for a heavy wetter :-) I only use prefolds or pockets and 2 night nappies.

My avatar
ameliepoulin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby ameliepoulin » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:03 pm

I know someone with a machine: me :oops: . Now what?

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:18 pm

Yey :-) do you want to be able to nipper them with a nappy nipper or just pad fold ?

If you want to nippa buy bamboo fleece which is really absorbent and nippaable or bamboo velour is super soft not as aborbant so you sew a extra few layers in wet zone.

Then you literally make 2 rectangles sew together the wrong way then flip the right way and top sew including the lines for the folding part I have a diy thread somewhere to some I made bear with me and I'll find it you can buy fabric from http://www.lushtush.co.uk or http://www.lusciouslittlesomethings.co.uk

:-)

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:26 pm

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=58738&hilit=Prefolds

Here it is
Hope that helps

X

My avatar
ameliepoulin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby ameliepoulin » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:34 pm

princessliana wrote:http://www.clothnappytree.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=58738&hilit=Prefolds

Here it is
Hope that helps

X

Oh, wooow, I never realised they can look so pretty! Excellent job, you have my whole admiration! Thnaks a lot :hug:

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:01 pm

Lol your welcome you can use plain undyed fabric if you want or both above sellers will dye it for you you can make quite a few out of a metre so it's cheaper than buying them let me know if you need me to measure any to give you a size idea when makingbyour own,

X

My avatar
ameliepoulin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby ameliepoulin » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:08 pm

Sally, do you have any idea on how many you can make out of a meter? And yes please, I'd like some measurements although I have no baby size yet :wink: (4 months to go). Do they deliver overseas?

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:12 pm

I think you can make 6 from a metro of bamboo fleece and if you pm lush tush on here she will let you know about width of fabric and postage :D or beffys from luscious little somethings
My prefold are all around 12" by 14" but that is after shrinkage so add an inch you shield be able to nipper round a newborn and pad fold also
Hth

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds