hf1

Prefolds- what wraps?

My avatar
[patchwork]
Clothie
Clothie

Prefolds- what wraps?

Postby [patchwork] » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi there, this is my first post here at CNT. I decided to use cloth nappies a long while ago and was fortunate enough to find a lady in my town selling an unused birth to nappy pack for £20 so naturally i impulsed bought without really reading too much into it :oops:

The ones i have are Junior Joy but after looking yesteray i only have 3 wraps of each size and i'm thinking 'hmmm, that's not going to be enough', so my question is what wraps fit with Junior Joy prefolds? And do you know of some good second hands websites where i can get some for cheap? I dont mind preloved ones.
Thankyou in advance for replies.

Patchwork and baby boy bump :)

(also apologies if ths is in the wrong section or if there's a thread about this already :lookround: )

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Prefolds- what wraps?

Postby megansmummy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:20 pm

Congrats on your boy bump!! :pregnant:

I love junior joy prefolds and I team them up with thirsties duo wraps, the classifieds on this site are fab for picking up a bargain :wink: Not sure if your familiar with prefolds but there are a few stickied topics at the top of this forum (terries, flats and prefolds) which show different ways to fold/secure the prefold and also what they fit like in different wraps too :)

Good Luck!

My avatar
[patchwork]
Clothie
Clothie

Postby [patchwork] » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:39 pm

Thankyou for your reply, i'll have to have a good look around the forum- it's hard to navigate around a new site, especially on my phone.
The pack my nappies came in had a diagram to show how to fold for different gender and for liquid poo but if there's other ways too i'll have to have a look and experiment if one way doesnt work as well.
In your opinion and experience how many inserts will I need and how many wraps? Because the 10 small inserts, 10 large inserts, 3x each size wraps (small, medium, large) doesnt seem enough to last from birth to potty? :S

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:48 pm

Your welcome :)

You can use a nappy nippa or pins and fold the nappy onto the baby and secure it which offers better containment on a small baby~
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=58766

As for how many...
For full time use (i cant get away with using prefolds at night) I would have at least 24 of each size, they dry pretty quick once washed but to give you enough to wash everyother day then i would go with 24 Medium and large...as for smalls I would go for 36...simply becuase you change a newborn so much more often than an older baby...
As for wraps, I would have at least 6 in each size...prefolds arnt as great as fitted nappies for containment (especially newborn breastfed poo) and so you can end up changing the wrap quite a few times during the day... although these can be hand washed pretty easily :)

My avatar
[patchwork]
Clothie
Clothie

Postby [patchwork] » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:59 pm

Thankyou. Looks like I might need to buy some more then! I'd love to get some funky wraps, it's just the cost that puts me off. We have planned to use disposables at night as we've heard there arent the best for nighttime.
What are nippas? Are they the alternative to pins? Our wraps that came in the pack are velcro... I'd prefer poppers I think but again not sure what can and cant be used :S
If breastfed babies poo is going to cause a problem maybe I could consider using disposables until he's a bit older. Or at least if I dont get on with cloth I could go back to them when he's older instead of giving up lol

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Funky wraps dont have to cost a fortune, and even if you spend a little bit on them, just think how much more you would have spend in disposables in the time that you use that wrap, and you can even sell the wrap on after you are done with it and recoup some of the costs back.
You can get dedicated night time nappies that have a lot more absorbancy, plus while baby is young it should wee enough for you to need a dedicated night time nappy for a while so you might be able to get away with boosting what you have got and using that overnight for a while.
Keep an eye on the classifieds as you whoudl be able to get some nice wraps, and some night nappies on there relatively cheep

My avatar
[patchwork]
Clothie
Clothie

Postby [patchwork] » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:13 pm

Thankyou red dwarf. I forgot that obviously we're saving lots of money by not buying disposables every week! It's just a case of we're very much financially screwed at the moment so anything being paid out will affect us severely :S
That's why I love sites like freecycle haha

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:14 pm

[patchwork] wrote:If breastfed babies poo is going to cause a problem maybe I could consider using disposables until he's a bit older. Or at least if I dont get on with cloth I could go back to them when he's older instead of giving up lol

It wont cause a problem hun, just be prepared to change the wraps a little more often for a while :D

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds