Bambino Mio Tips

My avatar
alamaya
Clothie
Clothie

Bambino Mio Tips

Postby alamaya » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:03 am

Hi All,

I have a Bambino Mio Birth to Potty set.

I know what rep they have but they were £40 on ebay and our budget is so tight i had to try it.

Can anyone give me tips to get the most out of these nappies.

I have brought some Nippas as i heard they can help but have no idea on the best folds to try etc.

thanks in advance.

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Bambino Mio Tips

Postby emmavmorgan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:17 am

I used them with no problems for my DS1 until he was 18mths. If the budget lets you I would buy some different wraps as the BM ones aren't the greatest. I always had problems with velcro rolling up and leaving marks on DS's tummy. You will need about 4. I'm not really up to date with things but some of the ladies will be able to advise you on the best sort of wrap then have a look on the classifieds. I just pad folded the prefold (never used a nippa) I would also say make some fleece liners instead of using paper ones as they work better and save money. They may not be the prettiest nappies but they are perfectly functional and dry quickly :wink: :hug:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:20 am

Yes I agree about the wraps, if you can afford to then get different wraps. I like thirties duo wraps :) try classifieds here for some bargains! X

My avatar
alamaya
Clothie
Clothie

Postby alamaya » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:22 am

thank you for your replies.

I have some fleece liners so sorted on that front :).

So the pad fold is ok then? I heard such bad things but maybe thats because the wraps dont work well with the pad fold. But a good wrap does.

Unfortunately the budget does not allow any money for any more wraps. Been looking on freecycle but i never seem to find anything.

I am just hoping i make some money selling off baby's smaller clothes etc as she grows to make my nappy stash better.

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:38 am

put an ad up in the wanted section, you might find some people with wraps free for postage :)

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:38 am

Pad fold is ok for wee but containment (especially on runny breast-fed poo) isn't very good - you're better off with the newspaper fold or angel wings fold...

A good one is if you pad fold, then open out the back if that makes sense? You can then secure with a nippa or a wrap...

If you find they're not absorbent enough you may want to look into some hemp or bamboo boosters but as you say money is tight you could use a flannel to boost for now... They'll be fine to start with but as baby takes more milk they'll wee more...

One of the reasons the wraps aren't great is because they're a cotton outer so they tend to wick meaning that you get damp clothes, especially if clothes are tight... One way to get round this is to make sure clothes especially vests or tights aren't too snug, size up if necessary... And change more frequently...
But in the early days you need to change very frequently anyway!

The aplix/velcro on the BM wraps is very bulky and can seem very uncomfortable and restrictive on a newborn and a small baby... That's another reason to try different wraps...

We used prefolds on my eldest and it almost put me off cloth nappies completely but we did persevere for a while, I did find we got through a lot of wraps as we were just pad-folding so poo got on the wrap meaning a complete change each time rather than just changing the prefold...

They're not useless but they aren't the best either :lol: - prefolds can be great I understand but the bambino mio ones aren't the best...

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:50 pm

You could also put up a Wanted post on Freecycle, my friend did that recently and now has about 40 nappies, plus a bucket! Couldn't believe how much she got from only 2 people I think!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:19 pm

I liked the wraps so don't worry you might too :wink: I agree put up a wanted for free for postage add here and you might get lucky also people do offered ads free for postage too :D

I would also liek to suggest another cheap option terry squares! They are fab and i much preffered them over mios people will for sure give those away free if you ask or a pack of 12 new is about £10 they are IMO much much better for folding and containment.

My avatar
angielizzy
Clothie
Clothie

Postby angielizzy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:59 pm

If you have problems with wicking washing them with some fabric waterproofer can help. The same as you use on rain coats. I used thm with my dd as buget was tight and disposables we were using were leaking poo eveywhere. I found them better with a vest as it held the wrap in place as i found it would pull through the middle and looseen round the legs othewise. My dd was a light weter and had several poo explosions a day and i foung these were great for her except overnight when i used a diffrent wrap and 2 nappys. never used nippers and think as long as they are tight enough round the legs and you dont mind changing the wrap for every poo they are fine. With my ds he is a heveyer wetter but i am using them with nature babies essentuals birth to potty wrap no problem and quite cheep especially if you dont mind white. With my ds i somtimes use nippers but mostly use them for overnight or with terries. I find it doesnt matter about keeping poo off the wrap as i will always get it on during changing anyway.with nippars you can use the boy fold in the instructions and open out the back corners to wrap round baby. otherwise i fold mine like the girl fold only into 4 not 3 as i found them a bit wide otherwise.cheep micro fiber cloths also make cheep boosters.

Next

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds