hf1

Fitteds or prefolds?

My avatar
dunabwin
Clothie
Clothie

Fitteds or prefolds?

Postby dunabwin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:25 pm

Hi All, I already posted a load of questions in the wool section, and now that i'm in the process of knitting soakers for my sister's baby due in June :pregnant: I'll work backwards and ask about nappies!
She wants to be in cloth from the get go so what would you recommend from your own experience? We didn't start till little bean was 2 months, and he grew big very very quickly so I've no idea how to cloth a tiny bum. It seems to me that prefolds would be a good idea becuase i just remember there being such a quantity of nappy changing with a new born that I can't imagine being able to afford to have enough fitteds even if you were washing every day?
I'd love your suggestions please especially about quantities, would you need as many as 25 or more? :shock: .Our family seem to have average/largeish babies although i know you can never tell :giggle:

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Fitteds or prefolds?

Postby Sally » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:37 pm

I prefer prefolds but not cotton ones either bamboo or hemp as they are much trimmer than fitteds and they aren't out grown as quick if ever as after you have finished using them nippard they will work pad folded and they are much easier to wash and dry.
but it will depend on personal preference I just had so many problems with fitteds and chunky thighs and sensitive skin from elastic or it being that much harder to ensure they were totally dry and being outgrown so quickly plus poor fitted resale value really put me off fitteds :-? I have some nipper ones that I do love tho :D
And yes on a newborn 25 really is the minimum 16 poops a day in the early days here :evil: ... :hohoho:

My avatar
flossyfly
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby flossyfly » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:57 pm

I have decided to start with flat nappies. I have a selection of terries, muslims and prefolds. I also have some fitteds as I figure there probably good for travel and going out. I am enjoying buying lovely wraps for them.
I have been buying some pockets and all in 2s as well in prep for when the baby is older and cause I can't resist them lol.

Terries and muslims are useful for so many other things and are cheap to buy so if I don't use them as nappies they still have some value.

This is my plan anyway. This being my first baby, who knows what will happen lol :giggle:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:05 pm

It really is down to personal preference. I had some flat nappies to use with DD, but they were very quickly relegated to burp cloths. I was useless at trying to perform origami on a wriggly, crying newborn. :oops: Fitteds were just much quicker and easier to use in my experience. And they leaked a lot less, too. I could never get flat nappies to fit properly.

I'd definitely say 24 nappies as a minimum. Some BTP nappies can fit very well from birth (I've had great experience with BumGenius in particular), so that makes things more economical.

My avatar
dunabwin
Clothie
Clothie

Postby dunabwin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:35 pm

yup i'm a bumgenius fan too but my sis wants to use natural fibers only really, i also wouldn't have been into all that folding and the like but she's game for it! (well it is her first baby so she thinks she is :giggle: ) i got her to get some bgs in the sale a while back and she hates the feel of them. I also get on well with fitteds, though I only have a few but i imagine it would work out expensive buying 30 or so in a newborn size just for starters? or is there a good btp option?

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:47 pm

BTP fitteds that I'm liking at the moment are Piddle Poddles and BubuBébé. The BubuBébé are really excellent, as the three soakers can be used independently so you can completely customise the absorbency and minimise bulk when they're smaller.

(Disclaimer: DS is large, so I don't know how well they'd fit a proper sized newborn. :wink: )

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:54 am

I'm a real prefold lover and have used them on my two eldest children...when I was pregnant this time I bought a huge stash of swaddlebees organic prefolds...they are gorgeous and soft but I hate them on my newborn :( they are just not as reliable or as reached for as our fitteds ...dd has been in cloth since birth and I am loving our xs fitteds and have just started using our bamboo little lambs aswell now that Darcie is 8lb odd...before now they were just huge on her!

I would say 24 minimum aswell...I have quite a few more than 24 nappies in use at the moment... I do have a lot of btp nappies but they won't be fitting her for a while yet...they would be huge!

My avatar
dunabwin
Clothie
Clothie

Postby dunabwin » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:48 am

Thanks everyone. Megansmummy what xs fitteds would you reccommend then for a newborn?

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:54 pm

Im using mainly fitteds and teenyfits atm with a couple of ittys thrown in for good measure.
Im really liking my Little lambs atm and the diddy diapers. The teenyfits are allso a really really trim fit and DH likes them overnight as he does the night time nappy changes so they are nice and easy for him to do in a sleepy haze.

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds