hf1

Oops!

My avatar
obsessed13
Clothie
Clothie

Oops!

Postby obsessed13 » Sat May 21, 2011 3:33 pm

Well I just wrote a whole post and now can't find it! Perhaps I didn't press submit, pesky pregnancy brain! :x :oops:

This time I'll keep it brief in case I do it again........

I like to have a plan, here is my nappy plan, question is will it be any good? :-?

I like the idea and simplicity of using terries and wraps only, is this a good option? Does anybody actually do it? From what I've read some people do it for newborns but then move on, would it work til potty training? I don't have much money so really need to keep costs down, simply cannot afford ten pounds or more on one nappy! Do have some pockets left over from last time though. Also I'm thinking of using bamboo as they are more absorbant and more likely to last? I will satisy the need for cute stuff by buying nice wraps as I won't need so many. I have been given some bummis prefolds to try aswell and was thinking of getting a couple of bamboo fitteds for times when a terry may be more difficult. I can't help but think though it must be an option to use terries exclusively, that's all my Mum would have had after all.

Anyway, really look forward to lots of advice and perhaps some like minded folk to talk to. X :wink: :D

Perhaps I should add that this is baby number 4 for me and my third son, cannot wait to meet him, he's due in september.

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Oops!

Postby emmavmorgan » Sat May 21, 2011 3:47 pm

I used terry squares from birth to 19 months as night nappies with wool or a wrap and had no problems. I did use them for daytime with a mix of pockets, fitteds and prefolds. They do make for a very large bum after about 12 months so fine if you are using longies or flongies but not so good if you want to stick them in a pair of jeans :hohoho:
:wine:
Emma

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sat May 21, 2011 3:58 pm

Congratulations on your pregnancy with your new little boy :wine:

Terries are of course an option for nappying your little boy. A friend of mine uses terries on her 20mth old & her 2 mth old. I do think the bamboo squares are the better option as they are more absorbant.

However, I would only buy the small square to start. I wouldn't rush & buy them all now. All babies are different & all can pee to varying amounts. My little girl is what is called a "superwetter" on this site. We use night nappies as our day nappies. She can flood any nappy in one wee. Superwetters are few & far between though. Terries/bamboo squares would work on a light to normal wetter. You might be able to make them work for a heavy wetter too by boosting them but I'm not sure. Using wool soakers rather than wraps will help them absorb more too.

The friend I mentioned above does not use her terries at night as they don't work for them & her boys are light wetters so having bamboo fitteds on hand might help for the night time.

My avatar
busybee
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby busybee » Sat May 21, 2011 4:09 pm

I used bamboo squares successfully on my daughter till she potty trained. We had other nappies too, but I could have used bamboo squares only. They dried so fast in our little flat, that was the selling point for me! I used to boost them with a normal bamboo booster when needed and she would wear them to bed with a couple of boosters in. As pp said, it can make for a big bedtime bum but it worked perfectly for us :D . You would want a good wrap on top, or wool is great. I would say my daughter was an average wetter. You may have problems if your LO is a heavy wetter, as others have said. Congratulations on your pregnancy by the way :wine:

My avatar
obsessed13
Clothie
Clothie

Postby obsessed13 » Sat May 21, 2011 4:41 pm

Thank you for the replies, sounds promising then! Have just been reading and sounds like some people really like prefolds too.

I have looked into the wool thing but my daughter was very allergic to wool so at the moment the thought feels me with horror, I have my fingers crossed very tightly this little boy will be lucky enough not to have what his sister did. I do have a friend who is going to knit me a wool soaker and I have a disana wool pull on on the way so I'm optimistic. Does wool really work though? I know everyone says it but don't see how it will! I plan to wear him as much as possible, will the pressure of him in the sling make it wick? Check me out with my grown up I know all about nappies words! :hohoho:

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Sat May 21, 2011 4:44 pm

obsessed13 wrote: Does wool really work though? I know everyone says it but don't see how it will! I plan to wear him as much as possible, will the pressure of him in the sling make it wick? Check me out with my grown up I know all about nappies words! :hohoho:

I'm a recent convert to wool.
I was totally septical about it (how can something with holes in it work as a nappy cover???!)
.... Im totally convinced now! Loving it!
I 'wore' DD in the sling a few weeks ago with a wool soaker on - and absolutely no leaks/wicking :) and she is a heavy wetter!
Definitely worth a go.

My avatar
obsessed13
Clothie
Clothie

Postby obsessed13 » Sat May 21, 2011 4:56 pm

Wow sounds amazing, haven't heard a bad word yet, knowing me I'll mess it up somehow! Will have to read more about it. Do you have to lanolise the disana ones too? Or is it just stuff you've knitted yourself? Actually that's a stupid question! I would imagine of course is the answer! :oops: Where can I buy the lanolin, have to say it's that bit that scares me the most!

While we're on the wrap topic how many should I have? Or should I post in the other bit? :-?

So far I have a weehugger, very cute. The disana on it's way, a bummis fleece and a pumpkin pants fleece pull on. Was thinking about getting a couple of thirsties duos too. :thumbsup:

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Sat May 21, 2011 5:53 pm

obsessed13 wrote:Or is it just stuff you've knitted yourself? Actually that's a stupid question! I would imagine of course is the answer! :oops:

you must be kidding.... but knitting is ..... ummm somewhat basic & sloooooowwwwww.
Im only just getting to grips with it.
if i attempted a soaker - my DD would be potty trained before I finished it!

Ive got a few soakers & longies from the classifieds section on here - all are WAHM knits!

For other wraps - I really rate the ones with gussetted legs, esp on newborns with explosive BF poop!
We love our old style tots bots ones with gussets, motherease rikki wraps are brill too.
The best wrap will really depend on the shape of your baby.

My avatar
macmomo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby macmomo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:55 pm

Have been using bamboo terries (47cm) squares from Eco Earth (size 3) on my DD who is a heavy wetter (she gets through 'night nappies' in 2-3 hours). I haven't tried them at night, but they last 2-3 hours during the day, unboosted (she's now 6 months old). I used disposables at night (even these don't last a whole night sometimes). I have found terries last longer than any other day nappies. As for wraps, I used Nature Babies exclusively at first, they worked really well and still do (they are the birth to potty one size ones, I think they're called Essential?). Also like the Motherease Airflow, had trouble getting the legs to fit nicely on the Rikkis. I also used a Little Lambs Size 1 wrap which lots of people don't like - over a terry I have found it bomb-proof, never failed yet and still fits over a nappy when dd is 16.5 kg!

HTH

Next

Return to Terries Flats and Prefolds