hf1

itti bitti d'lish - liner questions from a newbie!

My avatar
laurasaurus
Clothie
Clothie

itti bitti d'lish - liner questions from a newbie!

Postby laurasaurus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:31 am

Hi all! :idea:

Right, firstly can I apologise for the seemingly obvious questions but I'm new to all this cloth nappy lark and I really want to make it work for me and my bubba!

OK, I've got 6 itti bitti d'lish (well I've got 1 and 5 on the way!) and the few times that I've used the one I have my little girl has got a little bit of a red botty - should I use a fleece liner to keep the moisture away from her skin?

Secondly, as I've been using disposables for the past 5 months with her I've got into a bit of a routine in that I'll change her when she wakes, then not again (unless she poops!) at about midday and then again when she goes to bed (again unless she poops, and she normally has about an hour's nappy off time before her bath anyway!) - am I going to need to change this routine with her cloth nappies? I was thinking maybe doing a mid morning and mid afternoon change instead of the midday one - do you think this will be enough? :shock:

Thanks so much in advance and no doubt I'll be back again soon with more questions!!!! :oops:

Laura x

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: itti bitti d'lish - liner questions from a newbie!

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:35 am

Hi, never had a problem with red bottoms so not really sure, you could try a liner but could there also be a reaction with your washing powder, try another rinse?? I change Gracie every 2-3 hours regardless of what she has done in her nappy and always did the same with the older 2 as well. xx

My avatar
laurasaurus
Clothie
Clothie

Postby laurasaurus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:54 am

Kirstyh wrote:Hi, never had a problem with red bottoms so not really sure, you could try a liner but could there also be a reaction with your washing powder, try another rinse?? I change Gracie every 2-3 hours regardless of what she has done in her nappy and always did the same with the older 2 as well. xx

Oh blimey, I can't believe I didn't think of that! I normally wash all the kids clothes in non-bio but have been using Ariel Bio for the nappies because a) I thought it would get more stains out and b) because on the nappy lady website it says that there is actually no proof that non-bio is better for their skin! Right, I'll go back to non-bio for the nappies and see what happens, thanks so much Kirsty!

Laura x

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:35 am

Hi Laura :idea:

I switched to non-bio (about a tablespoon per wash) when I started using cloth because we also got a few problems with red bottoms when using bamboo/cotton in contact with skin. However, around the same time I switched to using pockets which all had fleece inners and the problem cleared up.

Recently, i have started using about a tbsp of Ariel for the nappy wash and we have no problems at all. So in hindsight, I think it was just a bit of detergent build up in the bamboo/cotton which gave sore bums when weed on.

I think you might find using a fleece liner helps and I'd make sure you only use a teeny amout of detergent in the wash and do a couple of rinses after the main wash to get rid of any excess detergent (nappies are very absorbant so also take up lots of the detergent in the wash).

hth

PS I used to leave it ages between changes in disposies but have since read that this isn't a good thing to do due to chemicals etc in them. I think even the manufacturers recommend changing disps every 2-3 hours. I change Nells cloth nappies every 3-4 hours (depending how wet they are)

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:54 pm

I usually change Lili when she wakes up, again at lunchtime, then late afternoon, then bedtime - unless, of course, there are crafty poos that mess up the schedule :giggle:.

Keep an eye on the redness because some babies are allergic to suedecloth (and/or fleece - synthetic fibers, I guess) - you'll probably be fine, but if you do notice a chronic problem, keep it in mind as a possibility!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:09 pm

I try to change them 3 hrly as they do get a little red if I leave them over 4 hrs!

My avatar
Hughesette
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Hughesette » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:34 am

Hi,

I chnage every 2-3 hours..depending on poos etc...but Lela is a big wette...prob because she is always on the :bf:

My middle girl, Darcey, has always suffered from sore patches on her bottom. The only non bio that doesn't react to her is Fairy, weird. But she is better with fleece liners for some reason...so I tend to do that with her, and even though she doesn't need changing that often I tend to change her the same as Lela.

I also add a tablespoon of Napisan to my non bio nappy wash and that helps with poo stains etc.

xxx

My avatar
lollipoplizzie
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby lollipoplizzie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:57 am

I use Ittis in the day changing every three hours max. I use the tri-fold on its own and a fleece liner, or the fllece topped one with mini booster which i'll only leave on for 1.5h, 2hr at a push. I find that the tri-fold can go a LOT longer than the 3hrs but it can't be nice to be in a dirty nappy all day.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:55 am

Several people on here get a skin reaction if they don't use bio...

Next

Return to AIO's (All in ones)