Newbie question about BumGenius and Wahmies

My avatar
lulu
Clothie
Clothie

Newbie question about BumGenius and Wahmies

Postby lulu » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:39 am

Hi everyone, :idea:

I hope I've posted this in the right section, I'm still learning about all the different types of nappies there are out there!

I purchased two lovely nappies from Jacqui on the forums but have some questions that I hoped people could help me with?

BumGenuis - what type of liner do you use on these? Does it have to be a BumGenius brand or can any be used? I was thinking of buying some Bambino Mios liners for the other nappies I have and thought I could kill two birds with one stone if they are able to be used with these too!

The Wahmies OS blue - do you use a nappy liner with this too?! Also I have an insert with this. How do I fit the insert in and does that insert need to be used from birth or until the baby is weaned? There are poppers on the insert but none that I can see on the inside of the nappy itself.

Thanks in advance,

Vanessa

My avatar
lulu
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Newbie question about BumGenius and Wahmies

Postby lulu » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:24 am

lulu wrote:The Wahmies OS blue - do you use a nappy liner with this too?! Also I have an insert with this. How do I fit the insert in and does that insert need to be used from birth or until the baby is weaned? There are poppers on the insert but none that I can see on the inside of the nappy itself.

Think I've already figured out part of this question, looking at it again I just put it in the nappy and the poppers are used to change the size of the insert depending on the size of the baby. :roll: Pregnancy brain overload I think :roll:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:38 am

I *think* you've bought pockets, rather than AIOs. AIOs are just that; everything sewn together and most like a disposable. Pockets have an opening where you stuff an absorbent insert.

I never used a liner when using pockets. A fleece liner acts as a stay-dry layer, but most pockets have that already. And fleece on top of a stay-dry layer can act hydrophobic. I never used paper liners. All liners with newborn poo are virtually useless - far too runny. ;) They're only useful in that sense when your LO has started solids. But if you opted to use liners, it doesn't matter on the brand; specific liners don't have to be used with specific nappies. :)

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:50 am

liners are what you can use to go over the nappy to save mess and stains although i doubt this always works, i have a few fleece liners which i can reuse but i also have some flushable liners so i can just take them out of the dirty nappy and flush away any poo etc, some nappies you can just stretch the fabric over the loo and it all comes off without using a liner, i think it depends on the material, buy a few different types but dont go for brand names just because you have that brand nappy, home made are going to probably be better as people make them knowing what they really need and like, the companies try to sell their stuff to make money, same as disposable companies, have a look on the classifieds on here and put up a wanted post on the wanted section, im sure there are people out there with some to pass on.

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:59 am

are you talking about the inserts? just read your bit about using the poppers to change the size, with a pocket nappy you usually get an insert (its thick) and you slide that into the pocket of the nappy, there are different size inserts and different types, you dont have to use the brands inserts, you can use any as long as it fits and doesnt poke out, liners are completely different, they dont go in the pocket.

all in ones dont have pockets for inserts, they have all that already in the nappy, try the pocket nappy section.
i was just as confused when i started looking into all this so dont worry

My avatar
lulu
Clothie
Clothie

Postby lulu » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:40 am

Thanks for the responses.

Soupdragon wrote:I *think* you've bought pockets, rather than AIOs. AIOs are just that; everything sewn together and most like a disposable. Pockets have an opening where you stuff an absorbent insert.

I never used a liner when using pockets. A fleece liner acts as a stay-dry layer, but most pockets have that already. And fleece on top of a stay-dry layer can act hydrophobic. I never used paper liners. All liners with newborn poo are virtually useless - far too runny. ;) They're only useful in that sense when your LO has started solids. But if you opted to use liners, it doesn't matter on the brand; specific liners don't have to be used with specific nappies. :)

Hi Soupdragon (love the name!). Yes looking at my nappies again I have one which is an AIO (BumGenius) and one that is a pocket (Wahmies that came with the insert)!

smilinglou wrote:are you talking about the inserts? just read your bit about using the poppers to change the size, with a pocket nappy you usually get an insert (its thick) and you slide that into the pocket of the nappy, there are different size inserts and different types, you dont have to use the brands inserts, you can use any as long as it fits and doesnt poke out, liners are completely different, they dont go in the pocket.

all in ones dont have pockets for inserts, they have all that already in the nappy, try the pocket nappy section.
i was just as confused when i started looking into all this so dont worry

Thanks Smilinglou I think I am talking about the inserts for the pocket nappy, just had a go at stuffing this into the pocket bit and yes that seems to work :giggle:

smilinglou wrote:iners are what you can use to go over the nappy to save mess and stains although i doubt this always works, i have a few fleece liners which i can reuse but i also have some flushable liners so i can just take them out of the dirty nappy and flush away any poo etc, some nappies you can just stretch the fabric over the loo and it all comes off without using a liner, i think it depends on the material, buy a few different types but dont go for brand names just because you have that brand nappy, home made are going to probably be better as people make them knowing what they really need and like, the companies try to sell their stuff to make money, same as disposable companies, have a look on the classifieds on here and put up a wanted post on the wanted section, im sure there are people out there with some to pass on.

Think I will give both types a go and yes have seen that the classifieds are going to be the best place to go in terms of getting suitable ones.

Thanks again!!

Vanessa :idea:

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:22 am

lol bless you, i still get confused! :wine:

Return to AIO's (All in ones)