hf1

Newborn leakage problems

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Newborn leakage problems

Postby smilinglou » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:40 pm

We're having problems with our nappies already! Can anyone help? Huge leakage problems! We first tried a small swaddlebees AIO and it leaked but for some reason; the fabric bit sticks out the top of the plasticy bit so I thought it was this that caused the leaking, I then tried a small Bumgenius AIO (which don't have the same silly sticky outy bit of fabric at the top) and again big leaks, in less than an hour, it always leaks out the top of the nappy :( very disappointed, I tried a swaddlebees again because they seem smaller but again the same leaking even with the fabric bit tucked in (why do they stick out like that anyway?), so I've given up and am using Nature Babycare disposables in the hope that she just needs to grow into them although they look like they fit, she is still quite little, only 2 weeks old.
Any help would be great I don't really know how to fix this problem and with this being the first baby things are manic enough. We really want to be able to use reusables and we really like the reusable wipes which are just fantastic!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Newborn leakage problems

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:42 pm

Unfortunately as you're discovering AI0s aren't really very reliable on a newborn...
Quite often you get leg-gape and there isn't the second layer of protection that you get with a fitted nappy and a wrap...

Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear!

AI0s are great when they get a bit bigger though...

Personally I found Grace was a very heavy wetter compared to her size after the first week for a month or two and then it settled down...

Is it just wee leaking out or poo? It could be that they haven't been pre-washed enough times to build up the absorbency if they're new...

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:44 pm

Steph said it all really! Are they totally saturated, or just damp??

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:00 pm

wee leakage, no poo, i'd say saturated to be honest, she fills nappies quickly, the sheet was damp on the mattress so it's gone right through, i was hoping i could get away with using aio's all the way through, the whole wraps and nippas thing scares me :oops: lol, maybe i shall wait till shes bigger :babyrolleyes:

My avatar
clairelou88
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clairelou88 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:02 pm

i found aio's and pockets didnt fit alsiter till he was alot older, we just stuck with prefolds/fitteds for the first few months.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:55 pm

I would agree...AIO's might work for an older babe (although we have never had luck with pockets or AIO's with Ds and now use 2 parters...far more reliable!!) dont be scared of 2 parters and wraps...you can pick thm up so cheaply on classifieds here...little lambs bamboo, sandies, thirsties, diddy diapers are all fab on itty bitty babies (either smalls or xtra smalls) and thirsties wraps, mother ease airflow/rikki wraps and super reliable too!!

If you just got a couple to try then you might see how easy they are :wink:

Good luck and congrats!! :hug:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:59 pm

2 parters are definitely better on newborns. You dont need to use nippas tho you can get velcro! We found little lambs and motherease rikki wraps worked best for us when Nathan was tiny, both are velcro/applix. I still like velcro but infortunately Nathan has been able to undo it for a while!!

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:41 pm

i think i have some tot bots size 2 somewhere and maybe even some wraps but they are motherease and different sizes :-? i may try them although size 2 will probably be huge still, isnt it typical that these companies sell aios for newborns when they just wont do :roll:

oh my god i have about 10 wraps, 5 tot bots, 5 motherease and loads of these strange fitted cloth things, all size 2 or medium :|
now to buy size 1's :roll:

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:58 pm

as other people have said fitteds and wraps or wool are far better than aio's for new borns you may find that in few weeks when she has filled out a bit and her milk feeds have settled down you may be able to use the aio's you could fold the fronts down on the tots bots and use a nippa to secure good luck

Next

Return to AIO's (All in ones)