hf1

Wool on newborn in summer

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Wool on newborn in summer

Postby confusinglady » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:23 pm

Ok talk to me about wool on a newborn or small person born in the summer. Baby due in August and I ve never really got in the swing of wool but would like to give it a go.
I have one soaker which I knitted for Dd2 which I d say is small and I used on her at night when she was newborn/ small.
If I want to use during the day in aug , with no suit over the top, am I likely to use just soakers or am I likely to want shorties? I ve never had a summer baby help!

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Wool on newborn in summer

Postby Soupdragon » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:37 pm

Callum was in wool in summer as a newborn. We just went with soakers and rompers. Or, sometimes, just a soaker and tee. But that's because a) of how hot it is over here and b) because newborn/small sizes get outgrown so quickly, that I didn't want to spend the money/time on either buying or making something that wouldn't get worn for very long. It's just personal preference, really. :) You could always add baby legs to soakers, if you thought it was too chilly.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:58 pm

If you don't want to use anything over the top such as a sleepsuit, I reckon it will be fine because newborns are usually snuggled with mamma, in a sling or moses basket etc so will be warm or have a blanket on chilly days.

Personally I find that unless it's roasting hot and your house gets very warm, baby would need a blanket or something anyway. DS3 was born at the end of March when it was socrching here but it was chilly in the house for a newbie so still worn longies or a soaker and a sleepsuit :D

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:07 pm

M was born in July so I had soakers for under sleepsuits, a couple of rompers and some shorties and skirties. It wasn't that hot in July so I also got some longies after she had arrived.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:51 am

Thanks everyone :)

Shaunie wrote:Personally I find that unless it's roasting hot and your house gets very warm, baby would need a blanket or something anyway. DS3 was born at the end of March when it was socrching here but it was chilly in the house for a newbie so still worn longies or a soaker and a sleepsuit :D

That's what I was thinking, my dd2 was March too and was well wrapped up.
We can t guarantee its even going to be warm in August can we :giggle:
Ok so I might make another soaker out of the wool I have ( don t think it would make anything bigger), so I can put sleeps suits over the top, and then some longies so they could maybe last into Sept depending on when baby arrives.

Thanks again all :D

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:10 am

Louis slept in shorties both here and in the south of France where we lived before when it was hot, just with a tshirt and sheet / light blanket as required :D .

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Postby Little Pants » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:33 am

You can put anything over the top, if it's cool, provided it's now tight enough to squeeze the nappy underneath. Soakers, shorties, longies or skirties are all cute though

Return to Wraps (pilchers)