My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Need Help

Postby clairelana » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:03 am

Hi,
Beginner Here........lol
We started 3 days ago now. I'm currently using terry squares with cotton bottom wraps.

I'm reading on here about fleece and wool wraps and wool longies. Are these waterproof? I'm a bit confused.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Claire :oops:

My avatar
juboo752
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Need Help

Postby juboo752 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:55 am

Hi

I've not been using wool that long myself and i dont know an awful lot about it :oops: but i do know that is works as a waterproof cover and i think it is Fab :D.

I am sure one of the wool experts will be along to help you out!

Wool is waterproof if you put Lanolin on it.- am sure someone else could explain things better.

I am using Pixie Knits Wool Bloomers at night over WeeNotions Night Notions and they are brilliant and they have never leaked on me yet and i am still in :shock: at how well wool works! (It lasts a good 12hrs on my heavy wetter)

hth a bit anyway

Julie

EDT: check out the wool section of the forum, lots of info on there :D

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:42 pm

I know there are fleece lovers and wool lovers, but I tried fleece once (maybe twice) and found that moisture went more or less straight through, and although you're supposed to be able to use them multiple times beween washes, after one wear (even with lots of airing after) the wrap stank so much I wouldn't have considered putting it back on. Eh. It's PUL for us!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:47 pm

Fleece is not waterproof but does not absorb moisture so can act as a barrier over a well boosted nappy. However, I never really got on with it and did fine it was prone to wicking. You do need to wash a fleece wrap after each use as it will smell.

Wool on the other hand is made waterproof by soaking it in lanolin - what sheep make to keep dry! So as long as the nappy is well boosted and the wool has been well lanolised then it can be very effective. You only need to wash a wool wrap every few weeks as lanolin is antibacterial and you can just air it unless it continues to smell after an airing or it gets soiled.

I love wool for nighttime, it is far more breathable than pul so I find that their bums get less sweaty and you can find that the nappy is less sodden as it allows air to circulate.

Try it :D

Return to Wraps (pilchers)