hf1

Another wet waking from wool, help!

My avatar
Katielou
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Another wet waking from wool, help!

Postby Katielou » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:22 am

Got up to a wet baby,clothes sleep bag and sheets again!
Relanolised my soaker so thought I'd give it another go but was unsuccessful. She is wearing a bamboozle with an extra bamboo booster and a hemp booster aswell between nappy and soaker. This works fine under pul but not under wool and I thought people turn to wool when the pul leaks? I just wanted to use the wool for comfort and breathability. Anyway she's only 4 months and doesnt move much. She wore merino wool pjs and is in a merino sleep bag all of which is soaked this morning. I don't think I can boost more won't fit anymore in! Could it be the knit is too loose and is more of a day wrap? I've included a pic, should I try a double knit disana or something? Or maybey will this have to wait till she moves more and drinks less? She has 2 feeds whilst in nappy atm, don't want too wake her to change as she's currently sleeping 11 hours with no fuss. Really want to find something that works don't want her in pul all night. I have some baby beehind bamboo night nappies on the way aswell.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Another wet waking from wool, help!

Postby sim » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:12 am

Do you know what wool the soaker is made from?

My avatar
Katielou
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Katielou » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:30 am

No I dont, it is a hand wash item though and was said to have been lanolised 3 times before sending from a lady who makes longies soakers etc. and has since been lanolised by me after last soaking! if you flick water on it it does bead rather than absorb and doesn't smell of wee....

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:58 am

Usually if wool fails its the nappy underneath that is the problem. Wool works by absorbing the urine and allowing it to evaporate. If the nappy is not absorbent enough then you will get compression wicking/leaks. What nappies do you use during the day and how often do you have to change them? When my 4 were younger and only :bf: they were really heavy wetters. We had to use dedicated night nappies at night, no way would a boosted fitted last all night.

My avatar
Katielou
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Katielou » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:28 am

She's not bad in the day at all she wears bamboo terry squares or normal terry square with a bamboo booster or a bamboozle usually with fleece cover and they last 3-4 hours. The nappy and boosters were very wet this morning sort of the same as with pul so it doesn't seem like much is evaporating, I got the merino wool pjs and sleeping bag to try and help with this but doesn't seem to be doing much. I thought bamboozles were supposed to be really absorbant, Maybey the baby beehind bamboo night nappies I have on the way might be better...

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:19 pm

In my experience you need a very absorbent nappy for nights, if your nappies are lasting 3-4 hours in the day, you need a lot more to last 12?? hours. I have never been able to use normal nappies without leaks so i use "proper " night nappies.

My avatar
Katielou
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Katielou » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:23 pm

Yes I see what your saying, the nappies in day last through a feed so I suppose my thinking is the 2 boosters will allow the extra feed with the evaporation to help but that's not working so I'll see if these night nappies I have on the way work. Also I'm just a bit confused because I seem to see most people are turning to wool when pul is leaking as it lets some evaporate but I have no leaks with pul but do with the wool....

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Bugglyboo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:31 pm

It definitely sounds like more boosters are needed. Could you use a bamboo Terry in a fold which has lots of layers in the missile then boost that.

My avatar
Katielou
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Katielou » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:36 pm

Yes could do the problem is she always has done a poo when she gets up and the containment isn't great with the Terry's and obviously don't want to have to keep washing the wool, maybey I could try a terry over a bamboozle so still have the containment?!?! Also don't know if the soaker I have will for over all of that! Her bum will end up about a foot higher than her head lol!!!

Next

Return to Wraps (pilchers)