hf1

Stinky wool soaker after lanolising :(

My avatar
MamaSyers
Clothie
Clothie

Stinky wool soaker after lanolising :(

Postby MamaSyers » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:47 am

Hi, yesterday I lanolised my new disana wool soaker, this morning it still isn't totally dry (I pressed with a towel and put in the airing cupboard) it looks and feels ok but it STINKS! It smells foisty, which I presume is because I left it in the lanolin water for ages and then it's taking ages to dry? What can I do, I feel I need to start again, this horrible foisty smell is my worst smell ever! Help!

I also used a tiny bit of baby shampoo in the water as recommended by someone but can't smell that at all! I used the Lanisoh balm too to lanolise as already had this.

Thanks in advance! I've got another wool wrap to do but darent now in case the same thing happens! X

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Stinky wool soaker after lanolising :(

Postby clothmama » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:59 am

Oh no that doesn't sound (smell :lookround: ) good!

Have you got some proper wool wash? I'd just try washing gently and then squashing out as much water as you can in a towel and drying as quick as you can. As long as you don't use too much wash you shouldn't need to relanolise again if you dont' want to. How long did you leave them soaking? Just overnight is normally a good amount of time and I've never had pongy stuff for that long (even in sub-tropical Queensland!) I dont' know much about airing cupboards as they are not an Aussie or a French thing at all but I would imagine there isn't actually much air! Can you try drying outside or by a window on a rack, I imagine with more airflow and quicker drying you wouldn't have the same issue. Let us know how you get on :hug: @MamaSyers

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:24 pm

I always washed my woollens before lanolising to get rid of stinks. I like scented lanolin too and only left to soak for a couple of hours

HTC xx

My avatar
MamaSyers
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MamaSyers » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:18 am

Thank you both, I left it all day rather than night but maybe I should have just done a couple of hours. I'm in the UK so drying outside not really an option as all it does it rain! trying to think how I can dry it any faster as I'm guessing the radiator is a no go? I have this wool wash, I will give it a quick wash in this and see how I get on.. thanks again! Xx

My avatar
MamaSyers
Clothie
Clothie

Postby MamaSyers » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:19 am

Return to Wraps (pilchers)