hf1

Wraps for newborns

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Wraps for newborns

Postby JennyPenny » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Hello. I have mainly shaped nappies for my newborn when she arrives - mostly sandys, shaped terries and lollipop maybe a few others. But I am unsure what wraps to use.

I have some tots bots size 0 that I got from the NCT sale last week very cheap, but I am half thinking I might be better ebaying these while they are brand new as I have seen brand new stuff go very well on ebay but I won't get as much if they have been used. I just keep hearing not very good things about them? I could then use the money to get some better wraps? I will be breastfeeding as long as all goes to plan so will be dealing with lots of runny poo!

If I did sell these, what are the best ones to get? I usually rely on ME airflows for DD but have heard these don't come small enough for a newborn? When DD was born I was a bit clueless and was using bambino mio nappies and wraps but definatly not going down that route this time.

Pretty wraps would be a bonus, but reliability would definatly be the priority. Prefer something I can get preloved as can only use money raised by selling.

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Wraps for newborns

Postby JennyPenny » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:46 pm

Or actually, do you think wool would be ok right from day 1? I have 2 wraps for the new baby in wool, although not sure if they will be small enough really as not tried them yet. Would the poo end up all over them all the time though? Just wondering if they whole washing every couple of weeks thing would actually work with runny poo? I know with Elouise she pooed on several wraps a day BUT that was with the rubbish BM system. :roll:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:49 pm

Wool would be good from day 1, but expensive!

I LOVE nature babies multi wraps, Summer used the smalls from birth and they were a great fit!!!

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:43 pm

We also used Nature Babies wraps. I went straight for a medium size - you can adjust the rise, so they popper down quite small. We had Tots Bots size 1 wraps. I found them less reliable than the Nature Babies.

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:50 pm

I had an xs rikki ME wrap that got used all the time when sam was nb- not the prettiest but v reliable and fitted great and quick to wash and dry if needed :D

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:00 pm

Katie wore Rikkis, WeeNotions and Nature Babies. We had 1 Tots wrap but it wicked terribly so I never used it. Wool would work well but you probably will end up washing it more often as we did get quite a few poo leaks onto the wrap in the early days.

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:09 pm

flutterby wrote:Wool would be good from day 1, but expensive!

I LOVE nature babies multi wraps, Summer used the smalls from birth and they were a great fit!!!

I already have some woolies that are newborn ish size. I have one wrap and one set of longies that I have bought brand new (£5 each!!) When I bought Elouise's woolies as I thought they were a bargain and looked lovly!

How would you wash wool that has been pooed on by a newborn? Do you put in the washing machine with the nappies or hand wash?

Have heard that the sandys are pretty good for keeping poo in - do you think I could use wool over these and not get poo on the wool wrap?

Maybe buying the woolies wasn't the best idea for a newborn! I didn't think about regular poo explosions! I guess really that counts for the first 6 months or so till after weaning? I can't really remember - mad as I have only just done it all!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:15 pm

I have never machine washed any of my woollies, I am too scared of felting and/or shrinking them, although some people do regularly machine wash their wool. Wool wash bars are great for cleaning off poo and they also come in lots of yummy scents.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:18 pm

We used wool longies from 7 weeks (adjusted age / size of 3 weeks)

newborn poo on wool is easy to deal with - hand wash with a bar of olive soap (holland and barret) rubbing over the pooey bits, then lanolise. I found though it was easier to deal with it straight away before it caked on - so if no time probably soak in cold water just to keep it moist. You could also try the wooly washes with the lanolin in, but I didn't have it at the time, so just used the soap and solid lanolin.

As for wrap I found XS rikki's enormous until he reached about 7 1/2 - 8lbs, so we used bummis sww newborn (they were sold as cotton bottoms) and they worked perfectly.

Next

Return to Wraps (pilchers)