hf1

patching a hole?

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

patching a hole?

Postby rhead » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:00 pm

Not sure if this should go here or in DIY, but the deal is I recently had a wrap sent to my MIL's, and it arrived lovingly and very securely taped up in its envelope, which she cut open with scissors, accidentally putting a tiny hole in the hip (right through it). As it happens it's too big for us so I'll be looking to pass it on, and just wondering whether rather than trying to find someone who's interested in a wrap with a hole in it (it really is tiny and in such a place that I don't think it would cause leaks, but still :roll:), it would be possible to patch it with a little piece of PUL (I do have somewhere I could nick some from) and nylon thread (which I think I've read won't wick like cotton thread would). Any thoughts? Better on the inside or out, or left alone?

And yes, MIL was suitably mortified - wish I could say I'd never damaged a nappy opening a parcel :oops: but it would be a big fat lie...

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: patching a hole?

Postby flutterby » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:06 pm

I think TBH I'd be more likely to buy a wrap with a hole, that one with a patch that wasn' done REALLY neatly

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:07 pm

You know the first thing that springs to mind - patching it like you do a bicycle wheel with a puncture repair kit. :hohoho: I don't have any sensible suggestions, I'm afraid. :oops: Hope you manage to sort it, though.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:08 pm

Soupdragon wrote:You know the first thing that springs to mind - patching it like you do a bicycle wheel with a puncture repair kit. :hohoho: I don't have any sensible suggestions, I'm afraid. :oops: Hope you manage to sort it, though.

That sprang to mind here to :giggle:

My avatar
WeeNotions
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby WeeNotions » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:17 pm

We bought some special see through tape stuff to seal the edges of wet bags years ago, but it was a PITA and we found a much better way of doing it .... anyway to cut a long story short I can try and find it and send you a bit if you like. You have to do it with an iron, so you would have to be VERY careful not to have it too high so it melts the PUL, but high enough that it adheres the tape properly. You would probably also need to put some greaseproof paper or something between the iron and the PUL. I haven't tried it on something that is already made up, so no idea if it will work or not, but am happy to send you some if you like, pm me if you are interested :wink: .

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:03 am

WeeNotions wrote:We bought some special see through tape stuff to seal the edges of wet bags years ago, but it was a PITA and we found a much better way of doing it .... anyway to cut a long story short I can try and find it and send you a bit if you like. You have to do it with an iron, so you would have to be VERY careful not to have it too high so it melts the PUL, but high enough that it adheres the tape properly. You would probably also need to put some greaseproof paper or something between the iron and the PUL. I haven't tried it on something that is already made up, so no idea if it will work or not, but am happy to send you some if you like, pm me if you are interested :wink: .

I completely forgot about this :oops:, sorry! The tape sounds a little technical and dangerous to me :lol: - I think I might take my chances with a little patch, it would only be about 1/4" around and I can probably do it pretty neatly.

Return to Wraps (pilchers)