hf1

motherease in the tumble dryer

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

motherease in the tumble dryer

Postby beck » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:40 am

does anyone else put there motherease PUL wraps in the dryer? Is it alright to do it all the time or is it better to line dry them?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:42 am

Hi, I always line dry my just on the grounds that they take such a short time! I also wouldn't do it full time as that would damage them I'd say unless it was on low and for a very short time. I have read that if your pul wraps are loosing thier waterproofness a tumble dry on hot can actually repair them. My understanding of this is that pul is made up of little rod type structures and over time these rods droop which reduces thier waterproof abilities. By giving them a hot tumble the rods straighten up again therefore restoring the waterproofness!! hths

My avatar
littlekiwibaby
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby littlekiwibaby » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:07 pm

Hello,

if it is proper PUL then go for it as it will realign the rods as Tory rightly says. The PUL is heated to make it waterproof so a boost to this will help.

I must say that if it's the stuff like Nature Babies wraps are made from then I've found washing with fabric conditioner is a better option as it coats the fibres, moreso the binding on the edges, and stops them from wicking.

It the waterproof is procare then I'm not sure, nor the comtex that wacky wraps uses.

I only tumble mine now if they need it but that's cause the drier is on it's last legs and keeps chewing things up LOL.
HTH

Cat.xxx

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:13 pm

Great tip about the fabric softner :D ! Does that help stop wicking then?

My avatar
littlekiwibaby
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby littlekiwibaby » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:53 pm

Hello,
it helps to stop the wicking because it coats the fibres in the FOE binding- same as for why you DON'T use it when you wash the nappies as it reduces the absorbency because of coating the fibres.

Cat.xx

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:07 pm

Great tip Cat, can wraps be washed with normal amounts of washing powder too, ie chuck them in with normal washes that have the conditioner in them but regular amounts of powder?

Return to Wraps (pilchers)