Red Whelts on Legs

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Red Whelts on Legs

Postby Cyrillia » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:00 am

Hey guys,

I bet this topic's been done to death, but just wanted to get some ideas for how to deal with these just in case they come back now I'm switching from pockets back to a two part system. DS had awful whelts that just didn't heal and I thought was related to the bindings on the ME wraps. Thinking back now, he couldn't have been allergic to them or he'd have had the marks on his waist too, but I switched to WN wraps anyway - which use elastin rather than a latex based one - as it was queried during a hospital admission whether he was allergic to latex.

Well, he'd had a break from reusables at the time due to the query about the allergy so the marks had healed up. I started using pockets in the day and WN wraps at night. The marks eventually returned though, although it did take longer as he was only using them at night.

Now I'm wondering if it was the style of wrap - WN and ME Airflow are a 'baggier' design - so the bindings tended to sit on the legs and not in the groin area. I'm going to try a BB Minki wrap now as it's more fitted. One of the ladies on my other thread recommend 'Tykies', but I wanted to check out what other things might be causing this and/or how to stop it happening?

Thanks,
Sarah
x

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Red Whelts on Legs

Postby charlibunny » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:52 am

How about trying a fleece or wool wrap? Sophie gets awful red marks from any wrap and most pocket nappies but when we use fleece or wool she is sore free :)

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:04 pm

I've really been thinking about wool as I'm enjoying knitting so would love to have a go at making our own. I think I'll make a post on the Wool forum as I'd need an 'idiots guide' to get me started I think! :giggle:

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:19 pm

Have a go at knitting a soaker, if you can knit and purl and follow a basic pattern, you will be fine! Evie got terrible marks from ME airflow wraps, and the only thing I could use with her and fitteds was a wool soaker with ruffled cuffs so it wasnt tight on her legs at all.

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:22 pm

yep same probs here with alesha still on the hunt for a wrap that i can use overnight with her fitteds and terries, most pockets done seem to cause the mark so she wearing them during the day now x

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:56 pm

Kaydi got terrible marks from wraps.
I now use 100%fitteds and wool.

I do find if the fitteds are linned with fleece we get terrible blisters on the inside of her legs and her bits.
I'm currently selling all my fleece linned nappies.

[ Mobile Post ] Image

Return to Wraps (pilchers)