hf1

minky & similar fabric wraps making baby too hot??

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

minky & similar fabric wraps making baby too hot??

Postby rachelinscotland » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:02 pm

Coming back from the dead here! :wink: :giggle: JK Have just moved house earlier in the month and life has been very hectic lately, so haven't been talking on any forums very much! But hiya to everyone! :idea:

Anyone, down to business! :mrgreen:

Has anyone found that wraps with minky fabric outers (and other similar furry ones, such as velboa) make their baby too hot in the nappy area? I know I tried a couple of WN velboa wraps earlier in the year when Clement was a couple of months old and found that he just got too hot inside them - I think the extra layer "for looks" was just more than he needed, and just the waterproof layer was much better to keep him cool. (Both my boys have eczema and just tend to overheat very easily & quickly!)

However, I finally caved in and wanted some cute wraps, so I bought some UD minky wraps, which are *lovely*, and work very well too! I bought 1 last month and then had 2 come in the post more recently, so we have 3 nice wraps for him, which I really want to be able to use. However, in the past several weeks he's been fighting *nasty* nappy rash - it would come and go and got better initally when he was in disposables, and then back again after a few cloth nappies - but I always felt it got worse/more angry red when he had the minky wraps on top! He's just been to GP today and it was diagnosed as thrush :cry: - which of course, moist & warm environment helps it to grow! Now he also last month stopped his low dose antibiotics which he'd been on since he was 9 weeks old (and is now over 6.5mo), so it's possible that has brought on the thrush (btw, this is our first case of thrush related rash on *any* of my 3 children), so I don't know if the wraps helped to bring it on, since it was just too hot inside, or if it was the antibiotics.

Any ideas? I don't want to have to part with these lovely wraps, but I don't want the thrush to come back again either!

TIA! :hug:

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: minky & similar fabric wraps making baby too hot??

Postby ramsons » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:37 pm

The only waterproof wraps or pockets I have are minky and I haven't noticed a problem with overheating although when ds has had nappy rash we always swop to wool full time and do lots of nappy off time until its cleared up completely.
Ds gets some of those food intolerence-type rashes where the skin is burnt and he's screaming as soon as the poo hits it, they're really quite bad and the skin weeps a bit. I don't use waterproof wraps while he has it. Don't know if this helps or not? :hug:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:02 pm

We've never had a problem with overheating with our Minkee wraps and thats in the middle of an OZ summer. Make sure you do a hot wash to kill any thrush germs and you shouldn't have a problem of it coming back. I would say it most likely was from the AB's. Hope it clears quickly.

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachelinscotland » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:57 pm

beck wrote:We've never had a problem with overheating with our Minkee wraps and thats in the middle of an OZ summer. Make sure you do a hot wash to kill any thrush germs and you shouldn't have a problem of it coming back. I would say it most likely was from the AB's. Hope it clears quickly.

Thanks for the reply Beck (and the reply from the above poster! :) )

As for killing any thrush germs in the nappies, would you say I need to strip wash them all, or use something like teatree oil in the stripping process? I always wash them on a 60 degree wash anyway, but sometimes the washing machine is quite jammed full - so it's likely they might not be getting fully cleaned. I presume me & my washing machine have lots of work to do, as we have such a *big* stash of nappies in rotation! :shock:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:03 pm

rachelinscotland wrote:
beck wrote:We've never had a problem with overheating with our Minkee wraps and thats in the middle of an OZ summer. Make sure you do a hot wash to kill any thrush germs and you shouldn't have a problem of it coming back. I would say it most likely was from the AB's. Hope it clears quickly.

Thanks for the reply Beck (and the reply from the above poster! :) )

As for killing any thrush germs in the nappies, would you say I need to strip wash them all, or use something like teatree oil in the stripping process? I always wash them on a 60 degree wash anyway, but sometimes the washing machine is quite jammed full - so it's likely they might not be getting fully cleaned. I presume me & my washing machine have lots of work to do, as we have such a *big* stash of nappies in rotation! :shock:

I'd strip them all and use teatree. While your doing it I wouldn't jam pack the washer :giggle: Fingers crossed it does the trick.

Return to Wraps (pilchers)