hf1

Getting fleece skirties/soakers on

My avatar
ebonina
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Getting fleece skirties/soakers on

Postby ebonina » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:29 pm

I don't know if it is R's shape, but I am having to really struggle to get her fleece skirtie on, so much that I don't use it. She has a 16" waist, 20" hips and quite chunky thighs (which are slimming down now), so I am really struggling to get the waistband over her hips. Once it is on the waist gapes so we can't go for a bigger waist. I thought that the waistband would be stretchy but it isn't because of the overlocking. Does anybody else have this problem? or is there a knack to getting them on? It looks lovely once it is on so I'm upset that I don't use it.
Last edited by ebonina on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Getting fleece skirties/soakers on

Postby dawnsmummy » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:30 pm

I pick Dawn up by the waist band and jiggle her in :oops: :oops: :giggle: She loves it!
We have a similar problem as Dawn's 23 waist and 27 hip. When I ordered my snugglebots skirtie, I didn't realise that dawn had lost weight, so the skirtie waist band was an inch too big :shock: I made a tiny snip in the fleece at the back of the waistband, inside, and threaded some elastic through. tied it tightly and then whip stitched (I think thats the name of it) the hole closed! It fits better than ever now because it's got the stretch to go over her hips, but the elastic pings it back smaller :D

And thigh wise, I find it helps if I make sure the leg cuffs are RIGHT at the top of her thighs, at the narrower part where it joins her hips/bum/etc? IYKWIM. :-?

My avatar
ebonina
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby ebonina » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:50 pm

Thanks, she has been wearing hers today but it is quite a struggle to get her in and out of it. A normal nappy change can take 10 minutes at the moment anyway while I try to pin her down long enough to get a nappy fastened. :x I'm not brave enough to cut into it though. I'm sure I'd do something silly and the whole thing would fall apart.

I prefer knitted skirties as they are so easy but I can put tights over the top of this fleece one. Oh and it looks gorgeous too, she got a lot of compliments in m&s last time she wore it. :D

My avatar
bryc1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby bryc1 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:55 pm

Another jiggler here :giggle: . I agree not the easiest to put on but def worth it :D

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:41 am

I sold mine because it was such a pain to get on, though I agree, it was gorgeous on! We didn't have the waist gape issues, I think it was just a whisker small. Think I'm going to replace it with a Snugglebots so I can custom-order and have it be just right!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:38 am

Katie's first skirtie is a bit like that but the rise is a teeny bit low. Her second skirtie fits perfectly although it is a little harder to get on than a knitted one as fleece doesn't stretch like wool can, I still love them.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:40 am

I only tried fleece once and i got really frustrated with it and have never tried it again :( i would really like too but i ordered a large debbies fleece soaker when K was about 6 months and i couldnt get it over his hips so i ordered an XL which went on fine but gaped really badely...its really put me off and i stick with woolies :oops:

My avatar
luckysprog
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby luckysprog » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:46 am

I just finished making my first skirtie last week from recycled wool and fleece (with a fleece waistband) and had the exact same problem..Image. I have changed strategies with the waistband to make it bigger than the soaker body and use elastic. We're getting a much easier fit now, but cant fix the old one so it's waiting for the next baby to come along...

My avatar
juboo752
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby juboo752 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:19 am

Fleece skirties will inevitably be harder to get on especially if you are used to the stretch in wool, fleece has nowhere near the same stretch as wool but it an awful lot cheaper :giggle: . The skirties also have alot more layers than flongies/soakers have in which again inhibits the stretch. But once on i think they look fab :mrgreen:
It took me a wee while to get used to using fleece i have to say as i was so used to using wool :roll: :giggle: But now i use the jiggle method as others have suggested when needed but i once i got used to it i dont find it a problem now :giggle:
You might find going up a size would help (the medium is quite small maybe a large would fit better) :wink: :D Or interlock skirtie might be a better option as it has the stretch of woollies :-?
Maybe the additional layer in the soaker of the skirtie isn't nessassary and we could do away with it and that would make a wee bit more stretchier :-? We are always open to suggestions in improving products :wink: :D

We'll be more than happy to help to get it right for you :wink:

Next

Return to Wraps (pilchers)