hf1

Wraps in summer

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Wraps in summer

Postby ramsons » Sun May 11, 2008 11:46 am

Can anyone help? Dh is starting to complain that the wraps we're using are making lo too hot in this weather and keeps threatening to use disposables instead.
We're using motherease rikki wraps and he's convinced they're too plastic and sweaty. I have one swaddlebees wool wrap which we're using every other change at the moment as long as its dry as I've convinced him its cooler for lo...

Any suggestions for what to do, lo is going to be out of the small rikki's in a few weeks so I will need to buy some more wraps...

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Wraps in summer

Postby Shevi » Sun May 11, 2008 12:03 pm

http://www.3greenbs.co.uk/html/product_details.html

on that page it details how and why cloth is cooler than sposies. and that doesn't take wool or fleece into account
I read someonwhere that a terry nappy with a pul wrap in 1 degree cooler inseide than a sposie, and ages ago i read something about a study being donne trying to link the increase in male infertility with the increased use of disp nappies , due to the heat around the testicles for the first 3 years on life in a sposie...never heard anything more about it, but always shocked me just hearing about the theoryt

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun May 11, 2008 12:14 pm

How on earth can plastic paper chemical filled pants be cooler than soft cotton nappies with a BREATHABLE PUL wrap over the top :babyrolleyes:

For cooler wraps tho' I'd definately go with more wool - fleece is more breathable but I'd say probably no cooler in the hot weather...

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Sun May 11, 2008 12:15 pm

also, ask him to wear a bin bag for 3 hours and see how he likes it!!!

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Sun May 11, 2008 1:53 pm

You could always use it as an excuse to buy a different type of nappies eg weenees
http://www.totnesnappycompany-shop.co.u ... ouch-Pants (just so you can see a pic).
They are a cotton outer (we used my sisters ones when we were in Aus when Kayleigh was 4 months old). There is a waterproof pouch in them and you can use cloth pads or biodegradable pads in them. At the time I thought that they were a lot cooler than our 2 part system as there wasn't a wrap the whole way round the nappy.
I know there are other brands of pouch nappies, but can't think of them off the top of my head.

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Sun May 11, 2008 2:32 pm

And also, if it's just to mooch around the house or the garden, I don't bother with a wrap. She was quite happy in her jimmy riddles yesterday and it lasted her a good 3 hours before you could feel the wetness go though.

My avatar
Heather London
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Heather London » Sun May 11, 2008 6:19 pm

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Sun May 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Heather London wrote:this might be the article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/941174.stm

oooh!thank y ou!!! i will now decide whether i am brave enough to forward that onto my anti cloth sis in law who son only has one working testicle and thinks cloth is 'disgusting'...she told me i was 'scaremongering' when i ment6ion this to her over a year ago!!!
on second thoughts, he'll be p[otty trained soon enough, so i may be better off keeping my mouth shut...i said it once already...and it wasn't met with a great reception then!

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Sun May 11, 2008 6:36 pm

I quite like that article as a 'pro-cloth' person. However when you look at that study scientifically, it is a bit of a push. Unfortunately the number of kids in the study is really too small to draw too many conclusions from.

Next

Return to Wraps (pilchers)