How long do ...

My avatar
joodel
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

How long do ...

Postby joodel » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:40 pm

...PUL wraps last?
What's the consensus out there? My Motherease airflow wraps are 3 years old and are still working fine...no leaking or wicking or probs with elastic or anything, but they do smell so!! Even after stripping them, putting a few drops of tea tree or lavender oil in the wash, sun-drying/tumbledrying. I can't seem to shift the smell! They are discoloured too, on the inside, and no amount of sun has changed that! Have even resorted to using a bit of steri-nappy (like nappysan) in my most recent wash to see if that helps. They smell great when just washed, but as soon as they are on dd and she's wet her nappy slightly, they start to smell.
DH has now suggested that perhaps it's because they are old. How long have yours lasted?

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: How long do ...

Postby babyroo » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:43 pm

Is it the wraps or could it be the nappy that smells? I got smelly nappies as soon as they were wet when there was a build up of powder in them.

My avatar
joodel
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby joodel » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:47 pm

babyroo wrote:Is it the wraps or could it be the nappy that smells? I got smelly nappies as soon as they were wet when there was a build up of powder in them.

s'pose it could be the nappies. I have stripped them recently, but maybe I need to do it again!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:13 pm

Have you tried washing the wraps in with normal clothes - I do it all the time now to save wraps from 60 washing and also that way they get fabric softener smell.

I would say 3 years is a long time and if dh is meaning you can treat yourself to a couple of new wraps, even though the others are usable I would say go for it.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:04 am

PUL wraps will discolour on the inside over time. I was given a very old motherease airflow, from which the pattern on the outside has faded. The inside is yellow, and works perfectly (it's just nothing to look at). I would hate to think how old it actually is, as Kayleigh has been using it about 10 months now. Even when my nappies were a bit smelly, the wraps were never smelly after being washed.

Return to Wraps (pilchers)