hf1

ME airflow leak, HELP!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

ME airflow leak, HELP!

Postby flutterby » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:20 pm

Well as the title says, my Me airflow wrap decided to leak, not out of the legs but right through the wrap, but it was by the legs if this is any help, it's only about 2 months old if that, and it's always been tumble dried, apart from the past 2 weeks as my drier broke, (naughty I know)

Also my pockets have been doing the same thing, am I doing something wrong? HELP!!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: ME airflow leak, HELP!

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:51 pm

Erm I wouldn't tumble pockets or PUL wraps regularly - I've heard it's not terribly good for the PUL... An occasional tumble if they're leaking sorts them out usually... Thing is pockets and wraps dry so quickly I never bothered tumbling them, just the inserts and nappies...

I'm not sure how to rectify that really - wraps you can stick in with normal clothes for a dose of fabric conditioner to help but I'm not sure how to sort the pockets problem...

Hope someone else has some better advice!!

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:49 am

Not heard of that happening before on a wrap so new. Ten again, like Steph, I would never tumble dry my wraps or pockets on a regular basis. I leave them to dry on radiator airers if it is raining outside.
I think I have heard of people rubbing lanolin over the PUL in order to help re-waterproof, but I was never actually sure if this would work long term.
Hope someone else can help you.

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:52 pm

I just bought a PBDP minkee pocket on a US forum and I didn't really think about it until after but the mama selling it said she'd just re-waterproofed it... I asked what she'd used and she said waterproofing spray from the camping department at Walmart! I don't even know what she would have sprayed (the minkee outer? into the pocket?) but she claimed she does it fairly often when she gets used nappies it seems to work. I was thinking about trying that myself for a leaky Rikki wrap but have just read about the dryer trick and think I'll try that first!

My avatar
littlekiwibaby
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby littlekiwibaby » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:52 pm

A hot blast in a tumbler is reported to reset the PUL, and as someone who has tested pul wraps to the limits (boiled, tumbled, spun, bio powder, non bio, bleach, sanitiser, vinegar etc) we found PUL is actually quite tough. Not that we recommend bullying your wraps lol. If you go to a site such as underthegooseberry bush, they do a product for sealing seams. You rub it in warm it through and then wash it and it reseals stitching. Maybe a bit worked into the fabric of the wrap would help.

You can test the wrap- a glass of water, pull the wrap fabric tight over the top and then turn the lot upside down. If it leaks through then the fabric definitely needs waterproofing. if not then it may have just been a leak.

Return to Wraps (pilchers)