Tell me about fleece longies

My avatar
Mungo
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Tell me about fleece longies

Postby Mungo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:29 pm

Thinking of trying some...

How often do they need changing? How do I look after them? Which are the best ones? Is it better to size up or down (DS is borderline m/l).

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Tell me about fleece longies

Postby monsterm » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:50 pm

Fleece trouser will last either all day or all night & are good for one wear only. Then just throw them in with a normal clothes wash.

If you look on the pure wool section of the forum, there is a sticky on the top of it about how to measure your baby for longies etc. Measure your little man & either get new flongies made for him or try to find a close fit on classifieds.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:07 am

As long as the fleece is good and thick, they should be fine, and most WAHMs use good fleece. I once made some for DD out of a thin cheap blanket and they were much less reliable than ones made out of thicker fleece. Most will have an extra layer of fleece in the "wet zone" (the bum and crotch where it can get dampest.) They'll need changing if they feel quite damp, if only a little bit damp they could be aired out until dry and worn again but unlike wool they will get smelly after a bit.

They can go in any wash, they'll be fine at 60 degrees but lower temps are fine too. Washing with nappies and towels will make the fleece bobble up more quickly but this isn't really a problem. It's a good idea to avoid fabric conditioner if you can. They dry very quickly, unlike wool which takes days!

In this hot weather (well, this is our third day of warm summer weather :roll: ) I always think fleece might be a bit sweaty for LO's to wear, so a fleece soaker or shorts might be more comfortable for warm days. If you can sew yourself, they are very easy and cheap to make, otherwise there are plenty of WAHMs who can make the to the size you need, or buy a preloved pair. Maybe better to size up if you're unsure, waistbands and leg cuffs can usually be rolled up to fit better.

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:07 pm

We can use ours for 3-4 nights before washing them, I just hang them over the cot to air, they never get wet really.

Return to Wraps (pilchers)