hf1

What does medium mean anyway?

My avatar
flossyfly
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

What does medium mean anyway?

Postby flossyfly » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Like I say to my pupils "medium is meaningless with out a large and small to compare it to"

i have recently been using fleece so have invested in and made some soaker. I have bought new and preloved and went for mediums assuming that they would fit wit medium nappies. Hre is a comparison of 5 of my soakers. All mediums. Some bought and some homemade.

lined up with edges together on one side so you can see the difference in width.
From top down;
Debbies nappies - preloved
Pumpkin Pants - new
Katrinas pattern - homemade
MamaMoomy - new
Fancy Cloth pattern - homemade

Think this highlights the importance of looking at measurements before buying.
Have to say I am quite shocked by the differences :shock:

My avatar
est4elvis
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: What does medium mean anyway?

Postby est4elvis » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:55 pm

i was trying to explain this to my friend today who uses disposables but wanted to buy a nappy. i had to show her the difference between a funky nappy + an issy bear. its daft really cos its only that i know about nappies now (+ had some help!) but if i didnt know this i'd be stuck really. like a large issy bear fits my 7 months old but a large funky nappy only fits him if its used as a wrap. not good if you're a newbie!
i think a lot of things can put u off if you're a newbie as well which is a shame as its so lovely being in to cloth nappies but knowing where to start can put you off. :-? anyway going off the subject here :giggle: but good post hun :thumbsup:

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:03 pm

Good point made!

Its no real difference to a size 10/ size 12/ size 14 etc in clothes shops for us, or shoe sizes, or childrens clothes for that matter.

Every manufacturer will have a difference sizze guide/ measurements that they use.
This will applies even more so for items that are handmade/ WAHM - as the margin of error is much greater.

Having got 2 skinny children, who have never worn clothes for their age range, I don't pay any attention to the label - and look at the item. In the case of nappies etc I look at measurements rather than weight guides.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:03 pm

I had a medium soaker from the US that was the same size as some larges I had!!!

Return to Wraps (pilchers)