hf1

Can you talk to me about fleece liners and soakers

My avatar
ALL5
Clothie
Clothie

Can you talk to me about fleece liners and soakers

Postby ALL5 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Nebie here trying to expand my knowledge.

I am expecting my first LO very shortly and have ordered Little Lambs and their wraps...moving on to one size pockets with a couple of wraps when babes grows.

Now the thing is I see soemthing here about fleece wraps and soakers and I want to know more. I was under the impressions that fleece isn't absorbant, it more moves moisture away. If that is the case then using it as a wrap/soaker would mean that it would leak once the nappy inside became wet, wouldn't it? If someone can explain this to me or point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your help.

My avatar
masheater
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: Can you talk to me about fleece liners and soakers

Postby masheater » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:39 pm

Fleece soakers are a compromise really between wool and pul is the way I see it. The pul isn't at all breathable, wool is. Fleece is breathable and cheaper than wool.
Down side to fleece for me is they can get very hot whereas wool helps regulate temperature better. Both wool and fleece will wick - if your baby is still in one position the dampness will seep through where the pressure is if the nappy is wet through.
Wool is stretchier than the fleece. Fleece is easier to wash and dry.
For me I tried fleece but my fella is a heavy wetter so his nappies are all wet through in one wee.
Having said that, I only used cloth from 6 months so not sure how different it would have been.
Interlock is a middle option which is wool mixed and is stretchier than fleece and easier than wool to care for.
Hope this helps.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:44 pm

I loved fleece, used both flongies and soakers (not together lol) and it is fab but as the pp said it isn't as breathable as wool so can there for be hotter x

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby confusinglady » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:27 pm

Can t comment on the outer bits but fleece liners as a stay dry liner are fab.
Xxxx

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jclmellor » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:30 pm

hi, good luck! with a newborn, wool is defo much better as a soaker. when the baby gets moving/rolling, fleece soakers can be quite good. we love fleece liners! never tried the paper liners. xxx

My avatar
masheater
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby masheater » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:12 am

Re liners, I use paper and fleece but find paper useless when the poo is runny so if breastfeeding a young baby, fleece is probably better. I find when Eddie has a runny bum, it just runs off the paper whereas I think fleece lets the excess fluid out into the nappy easier.
I find the paper liners great for when out and about when poos are a little more solid so I guess it depends on your baby's diet and milk he / she has pre-weaning - ie my friends who didn't breastfeed had mostly semi solid baby poos, whereas my boys has breastmilk poos several times a day. Sorry for tmi but I think it might need factoring in; this is one of the reasons I started cloth at weaning age :giggle:

My avatar
kittenattacks
Clothie
Clothie

Postby kittenattacks » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:29 am

I'm using fleece next to my lo's bum and they are brilliant :)

My avatar
ALL5
Clothie
Clothie

Postby ALL5 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Thanks for that ladies...I can't wear wool due to the itch, is the wool used in these wraps different.

One more question. My Little Lambs arrived this morning, oh they are soooo lovely. They come with a fleece liner and I was planning to cut up a fleece blancket to size and use that as a liner on my pocket dipers. But the LL fleece is soooo soft and comfy, will the thin fleece balnket I have be no good as a fleece liner on my BG.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:23 pm

ALL5 wrote:Thanks for that ladies...I can't wear wool due to the itch, is the wool used in these wraps different.

One more question. My Little Lambs arrived this morning, oh they are soooo lovely. They come with a fleece liner and I was planning to cut up a fleece blancket to size and use that as a liner on my pocket dipers. But the LL fleece is soooo soft and comfy, will the thin fleece balnket I have be no good as a fleece liner on my BG.

it will be fine to use the blanket. As for wool, never had any problems when G was in nappies and wool with itching, the lanolin keeps it nice and soft.

ALL5 wrote:I am expecting my first LO very shortly and have ordered Little Lambs and their wraps...moving on to one size pockets with a couple of wraps when babes grows.

you don't need wraps with pocket nappies x

Next

Return to Wraps (pilchers)