hf1

Lanolin allergy?

My avatar
sineadrankin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Lanolin allergy?

Postby sineadrankin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:45 pm

I was told as a child I had an allergy to lanolin, but I used lansinoh cream when I had cracked nipples with dd, so does this mean I can use wool as a soaker? I didn't know the lansinoh had lanolin in it (thick I know lol), I'm only just trying out night nappies so don't know what works best and I have heard wool is best and doesn't have to be washed every night.

Is it worth a try???

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Re: Lanolin allergy?

Postby Louise » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:58 pm

Some people use lansinoh to lanolise their woollies so if you didn't react to it then I'd say you'll be fine.

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:11 pm

if you havent reacted to Lansinoh you are unlikely to react to quality unscented lanolin either.

My avatar
sineadrankin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby sineadrankin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:39 pm

Another question then, as it seems safe to chance it.

Do I have to lanolise the wool, or do the shorties/longies etc come already lanolised for life?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:52 pm

If you buy them new then they will generally have been lanolised once by the WAHM. If they are preloved then they will have been lanolised several times by the seller. You need to wash and relanolise wool regularly when it starts to smell even after it has been aired for the day or when it starts to feel slightly damp to the touch after use. (For me this is after about 5/6 wears but all my wool is new so preloved may not need doing as often)

My avatar
anothersquish
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby anothersquish » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:17 pm

I tend to relanolise my wool about once a month. I use wool wash with lanolin if I need to wash them inbetween times. He still wears wool pretty much 24/7 though not over nappies in the daytime anymore but its still all kept lanolised as the water resistance is useful if it rains when hes in the sling...no wet legs!
I have 3 or 4 pairs that fit over his night nappies that I use and will just wash and relanolise as and when...they are all used one to three times a week and I have no problem with them wicking or smelling or remaining damp. They are all well lanolised though Ive had all of them from new.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:08 pm

sineadrankin wrote:Is it worth a try???

Definitely worth a try - wool is fantastic :widesmile: Lanisol is just pure lanolin so if there were no reactions I think you would be pretty safe to give it a go!

Return to Wraps (pilchers)