hf1

Alright then, convince me to use wool wraps! ;)

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Alright then, convince me to use wool wraps! ;)

Postby Juli » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:39 pm

After everybody has been saying how wonderful wool is, I'm ready to listen. I know there are a few different styles, like things that basically look like wool trousers and I've also seen wool wraps that look like PUL wraps in design. I think I would prefer the latter. What do you all think of this one: http://www.green-me.co.uk/babybeehinds- ... php?wraps=

Can you throw them in with your nappies to wash or do you have to wash them separately on a wool wash cycle? How often do you have to lanolise them?

If I get the wrap style, would I have to do anything differently to what I do with PUL wraps?

Any other hints or advice that I haven't thought to ask would be appreciated.

Love to all,
Juli

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Alright then, convince me to use wool wraps! ;)

Postby ladybird » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Ok, first off styles.
Like you say there are wool wraps, but they don't seem to be that common. There are soakers - pull on pant shape covers. Longies are the trousers, shorties shorts and then you have skirties - soakers with skirts attached.

To wash, most people hand wash. They need lanolising every few weeks depending on how much they are used, you can just wash gently in between if you feel the need, most of the time airing is sufficient. They don't need washing unless they get dirty and need lanolising when they start to lose their waterproof properties or start to smell.
I throw my wool in the machine on a handwash cycle with the temperature and spin speeds right down low. Too much heat and agitation and you'll felt them, which shrinks them.
You'll need wool wash and lanolin. Lanolising is very easy, but the thought of it is what puts people off wool I think. Once you've done it you'll realise there's nothing to it though. And wool is so easy to care for.

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:53 pm

You see, that does sound a lot more complicated than using PUL. I didn't realise you have to lanolise so often, and the fact that you can't throw them in with your nappy wash is putting me off. Because I don't own a lot of wool things, so it would always feel like a waste of water and energy washing just the wool covers by themselves.

I also don't understand why you don't have to wash them very often. They do come in contact with the pee, don't they? And I know they don't absorb it, but neither does PUL, and that I still wanted to wash every day. Could you enlighten me on that one please?

My avatar
est4elvis
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby est4elvis » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:57 pm

apparently wool is an anti bacteriel fibre??? anyway mine just never smell so i dotn care :giggle: + i have only ever lanolised 2 or 3 times in total - they need it again but i have owned them for months + months i prob lanolise about every 2 months?
i love wool i think pul is old fashioned + not very comfy + wool looks so good. it really isnt hard once u have it; u just put it on + take it off, well i do anyway :giggle:

My avatar
jclmellor
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby jclmellor » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:05 pm

we've tried the baby beehinds wool wraps but much prefer wool longies, actually, so we don't have to find huge trousers to go over DD's large bottom!

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:06 pm

PUL makes a crunchy sound, wool does not.
PUL is sweaty & holds in moisture, wool is breathable & lets moisture evaporate allowing the nappy absorb more moisture than normal (handy at night).
Wool is naturally anti bacterial & allows the moisture to evaporate so you don't need to wash it often (maybe once every 4-8 weeks depending on use)
To lanolise, you put it into a bowl with water, lanolin & baby bath & leave it soak. It takes 3 mins of effort from you tops.

It is really very easy & once you start using, you won't go back. The only way for you to figure out if it's for you is buy one off classifieds & give it a go. Soakers from classified will already be lanolised so you won't need to do it for a couple of months.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:08 pm

Yep, it's antibacterial and the lanolin is a waterproofing agent. Wool does absorb moisture, up to 30% of it's own weight in fact, hence the airing - this allows any moisture to evaporate. If it starts to smell then it needs washing and relanolising - this can take a few days to a couple of weeks depending on use.
It helps regulate body temperature too, so is cosy in the winter, cooler in the summer (I've used it on my children in 40c temps).
You can't wash many together anyway, so not having much wool isn't a problem. You'd generally have a few soakers/longies to rotate so you'd save up a few to wash together anyway. You can't do 6kg of wool items in a wash!!!

My avatar
Mungo
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Mungo » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:06 pm

We use wool longies (the ones that look like trousers) at night and they are FAB. No red marks on DS's thighs, they keep him nice and cosy, they NEVER leak and they're super cute too!

I'm pretty lazy but don't find washing/lanolising a problem :giggle: . I do it about once a month, it's really easy so don't be put off!

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby katyav » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:30 pm

We looooooove wool, love it love it love it!! It's very rare for DD not to be in wool, we use mostly longies at the moment, either hand knitted or interlock ones, never tried wraps though. I prefer the hand knitted ones cause they're so soft, cozy and warm (I made DD a longies and hoodie set and couldn't stop cuddling her, so squishy!), but I find that the interlock ones give more protection against compression wicking when she's in the sling for a long time.

As for washing... I wash them by hand - and by wash I mean throw them in a bucket with water and wool wash, leave for a bit then rinse - and not often at all.. generally when they start smelling a bit :hohoho:

And if anybody ever tells you that "wool is so hot"... ask them if they'd rather wear a jumper made of wool or waterproof plastic. I got weird looks when people saw DD's wool soakers when it was really hot last summer, truth is that they're not as hot as PUL (or sposies) and let the skin breathe much better.

To sum it up - I love wool.

Next

Return to Wraps (pilchers)