hf1

Alright then, convince me to use wool wraps! ;)

My avatar
zelo
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Alright then, convince me to use wool wraps! ;)

Postby zelo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:03 pm

I haven't tried wool yet but I am totally convinced it will be brilliant. Our first longies should be on their way from NZ. Hand-knitted by step mother in law from yarn spun by father in law. Wool comes from their own sheep! Can't wait for the parcel to arrive.

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:28 pm

zelo wrote:I haven't tried wool yet but I am totally convinced it will be brilliant. Our first longies should be on their way from NZ. Hand-knitted by step mother in law from yarn spun by father in law. Wool comes from their own sheep! Can't wait for the parcel to arrive.

That sounds really special! :D

My avatar
Ellen17
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Ellen17 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:05 am

having read this thread I like the sound of wool but have a few (probably silly newbie) questions:
I carry my LO in a sling most of the time when out and am worried about wicking. what do you do to prevent that (or perhaps the wool should be for home time?).
I have some lovely merino wool vests (with poppers). are they unsuitable over wool wraps (i.e. does wool on wool make wicking more likely? or is merino wool a different thing altogether? I think I am still struggling to understand the whole wool concept...
my little one has quite sensitive skin with a tendendcy to eczema/ rashes. I wonder if it's worth checking out if he reacts to lanolin before investing in wool covers?
finally, I'd love to crochet something but fear I might start and never finish (oh yes and would have to find a pattern first...). any ideas for getting wool shorties /longies on a budget?
sorry for all the questions...

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:21 am

Ellen17 wrote:having read this thread I like the sound of wool but have a few (probably silly newbie) questions:
I carry my LO in a sling most of the time when out and am worried about wicking. what do you do to prevent that (or perhaps the wool should be for home time?).

My DD is in the sling a lot and we have never had any issues with wicking. As long as the wool has been lanolised a few times at least and the nappy underneath is absorbent enough then it will be fine.

Ellen17 wrote:I have some lovely merino wool vests (with poppers). are they unsuitable over wool wraps (i.e. does wool on wool make wicking more likely? or is merino wool a different thing altogether? I think I am still struggling to understand the whole wool concept..

What makes wicking more likely is if the clothing over the top is a tight fit so as long as there is plenty of room or you use vest extenders then its ok to use the vests over a soaker.

Ellen17 wrote:my little one has quite sensitive skin with a tendendcy to eczema/ rashes. I wonder if it's worth checking out if he reacts to lanolin before investing in wool covers?

Its not very common for a LO to react to lanolin, generally if they react to anything it will be the FOs if fragranced lanolin is used

Ellen17 wrote:finally, I'd love to crochet something but fear I might start and never finish (oh yes and would have to find a pattern first...). any ideas for getting wool shorties /longies on a budget?

Wool isn't cheap because of the time it takes a WAHM to make them. You could buy some preloved ones to try first or buy your own yarn and ask a WAHM to knit it up for you.

My avatar
Ellen17
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Ellen17 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:43 am

thanks for those detailed replies!

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:08 am

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to update this thread to say that I tried wool overnight, and - this will surprise you - didn't like it. I didn't like the stickiness of the lanolin and the damp clothes and bed in the morning. So I guess it's not for everyone. We're going to stick with good old PUL which works very well for us :)

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:39 am

The stickiness of lanolin goes after the first couple of wears. Not sure about dampness, perhaps the nappy was too wet?

I used wool a lot with my oldest daughter from 6months but I've been using it exclusively on my newborn daughter. I love it.

I didn't get it at all at the start and just took the plunge. It made a big difference to my eldest's sensitive skin so I was a convert.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:42 pm

The only time we get dampness is if the nappy is too wet or the clothes over the soaker are too tight so cause wicking. Atm I tend to size up a size or 2 in bottoms and put fleece over the wool soaker and then a sleeping bag.

Previous

Return to Wraps (pilchers)