hf1

Alright then, convince me to use wool wraps! ;)

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Alright then, convince me to use wool wraps! ;)

Postby Juli » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:04 pm

scarlet wrote:
Juli wrote:
ladybird wrote:Wool does absorb moisture, up to 30% of it's own weight in fact,

And the thought that it's got pee in it doesn't bother you?

Hun , when your LO arrives you will be covered head to toe in all sorts a tiny bit of wee isn't going to bother you. :hug:

:giggle: Yes, I know. I do have two children already. I don't mind dealing with pee, it was just the thought of reusing a cover for weeks with pee sitting in it. And I know it's sterile, but it doesn't stay like that for long.

Anyway, I've thought about it and wonder whether this is actually the way it's meant to work: When the wool is properly lanolised it's meant to be waterproof, isn't it? And when you air the wool out, you're just allowing the pee on the surface to evaporate. So the fact that wool can absorb 30% of its own weight in fluid isn't really what you want it to do in this case, right? Because if it's absorbing the liquid on one side it's also going to let it out again the other side, and that's not what you want to happen, right? (Sorry, scientist overanalysing the mechanisms involved... :wink: )

So I'm coming round to the idea of using wool. Could you just enlighten me as to what wool interlock is, as opposed to wool knit? Is one better than the other?

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Wool interlock is a fabric made from wool, so you can sew with it. Knitted wool is just that - wool yarn that has been knitted. I prefer knitted, it looks nicer and we found it worked better for us. Others prefer interlock - it's a matter of choice :)

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:37 am

Another question just occurred to me: What do you wear on the top? I put my first two in bodysuits for the first year, because they don't ride up the way shirts do on a baby that's spending a lot of time lying down. But does that work over wool? I imagine it would look pretty silly over wool longies :)

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:38 am

You can put a sleepsuit over a soaker, just be sure it's not too snug around the bum, it needs to be fairly loose. Otherwise vests and tops.

My avatar
Mungo
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Mungo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:03 pm

My DS wears longies, a long sleeved pyjama top and a cardigan. And a non-poppered vest underneath when it gets really cold.

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:47 pm

But doesn't that all ride up all the time?

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby knees_on » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:53 pm

Hmmm, the riding up issue has been asking before on here. I was too chicken to use wool until DD was a few months old and never had an issue with tops riding up. I never used un poppered vests, I used the normal type over the top of longies at night, which isn't recommended due to the wicking issue. If the clothes are too tight over the wool it compresses, leading to wicking.

Wool is hard to explain, probably because it is magic!! But it does really really work and is totally gorgeous!! I love wool trousers for winter as it is cuddly and snuggly and warm and just put pyjama top over vest(to limit the wicking I use a vest a size or 2 up) and the top covers the vest so still looks gorgeous!! :giggle: Or I would use a soaker (knitted pants style) under a sleepsuit and vest. in the summer they are fine too although I often don't bother with a cover during the day as nappies are too pretty!

The last pair of longies I knitted haven't even been lanolised yet and she has worn them the whole day about 1o times with no leaks!!

Wool just is the BEST!! And I was a complete skeptic in the beginning!! PM'd you :D

My avatar
Juli
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Juli » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:25 am

knees_on wrote:Wool just is the BEST!! And I was a complete skeptic in the beginning!! PM'd you :D

Thanks for the great advice! PM'ed you back :D

My avatar
Mungo
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Mungo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:01 pm

Juli wrote:But doesn't that all ride up all the time?

I've not really found it a problem, especially as the longies have quite a high rise. And if you put a vest on but leave it unpoppered it will be nice and long.

PreviousNext

Return to Wraps (pilchers)