hf1

Getting a garden

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Getting a garden

Postby Sunset » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:47 pm

We're moving in just over 2 weeks, to a house with a garden :yahoo: :yahoo: (currently in a flat). Since I left home I've never had a garden so not sure what to do with it. It's mostly grass so it won't need cutting til spring time, but is there anything I can plant this time of year. I'd like some herb pots by the back door but are there any that are hardy enough to grow now?
I don't want a huge veggie patch but just something to keep myself and the kids amused, should I prepare any areas now or leave everything to the new year?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Getting a garden

Postby clothmama » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:34 am

I'd google the things you are interested in growing and you'll get when to plant / pull them out, I'm not sure what you can put in (and that is what I do to find out lol!!) but I'm pretty sure that there are things that you put in at the beginning of winter and get out in the spring! I think growing times / plant times are even effected by where you live in the UK!

Hopefully someone else can be more usedful than me!

Your move sounds exciting, I hope it goes well xx

My avatar
Rebeccar75
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Rebeccar75 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:13 pm

Congrats and how exciting!!!!

If your a fan of broad beans, they like to be planted now. Also now is a great time to plant garlic, shallots, onions. Depending on how rubbish our weather is over the next month you could dig a patch straight away before the ground freezes, or you could wait till next year and plant some bits in pots to transplant when you get around to it.

Good luck!!!

x

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:49 pm

ooh, yes I like broad beans (especially with feta cheese!)

Shallots, they would be great, I never buy them in the shops but I'd definitely use them if we grew some.
I read today that I can plant fruits over the winter so I'm thinking maybe a couple of canes of raspberries

I am so excited, we've 5 of us in a 2 bed flat so going to a house with garden will just be amazing!

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:51 pm

Wow, that does sound like a good move @sunset I hope you are able to sort some lovely veggies out for your garden :)

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:37 pm

What did you plant in the end??

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:51 pm

:wave: We planted some broad beans and onions. I've got some pea seeds waiting to go in.
I need to dig some manure in though but it's been so wet the ground is just saturated. We had a dry week this last week so hopefully things are getting better and I can get out next weekend and do some digging

Return to The Veggie Patch