Help me !

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Help me !

Postby littlesez » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:14 am

I got all excited , gardening is hard ! I started off tons of seeds none sprouted except broad beans (yawn) :giggle:

What do I do with all the trays of seeds in compost ?

Next I planted some small plants strawberries tomato and pepper those and the beans have now stopped flourishing just the leaves get bigger

Weeds ? How do I know what are weeds

Help me :)

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Help me !

Postby confusinglady » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:41 am

Hmmmm not sure about all of the questions, I just make it up as I go along :giggle:

Do you mean the seed trays where nothing has grown? I d just chuck that on the garden somewhere, they re unlikely to sprout now if you planted months ago.

The others, do you mean they ve stopped flowering or that they re looking a bit sad?
Not sure how you get them to flower, I have a strawberry like that too, but feed might help if they re looking sad as the feed in the compost runs out after 6 (?) weeks.

Weeds- I just go on the theory that if I didn t plant it then I pull it out. A plant in the wrong place is a plant in the wrong place iykwim.

Not sure that's much help!
Xx

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:49 am

I agree with Nicholas advice! :thumbsup:

I have tried so many time to grow seeds and I'm rubbish at it, I think you need to be uber good at looking after them and have exactly the right conditions! I have discovered that seedlings have much more chance under my care :lookround: !

littlesez wrote:Next I planted some small plants strawberries tomato and pepper those and the beans have now stopped flourishing just the leaves get bigger

try some fertilizer!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:57 am

Blood fish and bone is great multi purpose fertiliser. Did yoy acclimatise the plants before putting them out? That can make a difference. The hot weather makes them look a bit sad. They look better at night!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:39 am

feed? fertilizer? acclimitize? :eek: :eek: :eek:

:hohoho: i am a complete beginner maybe i should try some easy things first what does everyone recommend ?

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby confusinglady » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:05 am

Ok don t :panic: the fun of growing your own is learning as you go.
Beans, strawberries, tomatoes are good ones to grow stick with them. Peppers are more tricky as it needs to be hot and sunny to ripen them, much more than tomatoes.
Courgettes are pretty easy to grow you just need a big pot or space in the ground, keep the slugs and snails away and water regularly.

littlesez wrote:Next I planted some small plants strawberries tomato and pepper those and the beans have now stopped flourishing just the leaves get bigger

So which ones have stopped flourishing? The beans or all of them? Have the beans produced beans yet?

Feed and fertiliser just put the right nutrients back in the soil, think of them as vitamins for plants :widesmile:

Post some pics we can have a look :thumbsup:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:34 am

pics ..

beans

seeds lmao

pepper, tomato straberry

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby confusinglady » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:23 am

:wave: the peppers, strawberries and tomatoes look fine to me :thumbsup: , you ll perhaps need to get something to support the tomatoes soon, such as bamboo canes etc

the seed trays - what did you plant and have they well exceeded the germination time on the packet?

The broad beans...are you sure they are broad beans? Its just I can see some seeds cases ( or whatever they re called) on the top of the soil and beans are the ones we all grew in a jar at school where there is a shoot and then a root.
did you plant anything else like sunflower seeds, pumpkin, courgette, squash or cucumber? They look a bit more like that.

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:50 am

They look Great! I onlu started gardening this year. Have learned a little by reading, experimenting and asking around. Dint expect to knoe everything ib one go :)

Next

Return to The Veggie Patch