Veggie patch 2016 - 16/07 progress pics pg 8

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Veggie patch 2016 plans! Pics pg 5.

Postby clothmama » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:29 pm

Aeseldyr wrote:I had two cucombers in the greenhouse last summer and it gave enough to last the whole season and some for family and friends as well :thumbsup:

That is good to know @Aeseldyr I won't change plans then! I'm going to see if I can find a miniature variety as they had some for a few weeks in Lidl (gone now sadly) and Remy really liked them.
MissFrodo wrote:I had 2 cucumbers @clothmama, more than enough...make sure they can climb btw ;)

Arrrggghh see this is all the stuff I just don't know! So what do they need - a stake or a cute little wigwam thing and how wide / tall etc @MissFrodo ?

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:40 pm

Don't panic. I've let them climb up the hedge but you could use one of those wigwamthings as well. Btw mine came from Lidl :giggle:

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:41 pm

Cucumbers are heavy, need lots of water but think you got that as they are mostly water. If the cucumber hangs on the ground it'll rotten.

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:54 pm

Evening :wave:
Honestly I think your plan looks good. There are lots of ' these are the most ideal ' type things but with enough light and water most plants will do ok. It's often just trial and error. I d pretty much given up on my broccoli as it got so eaten by cabbage white butterflies I nearly pulled them out in autumn last year as I thought they weren't going to do anything and then in December they showed signs of heads appearing! I was so suprised!

Don't worry about your crop rotation this year just see what you like to grow. I ve not had much sucess with carrots before so I m wondering whether to bother.
If you eat lots of tomatoes go for it with the bigger area :thumbsup:

Yes cucumber can grow up most stuff. Ours was in green house last year ( and will be this year too) and kind of grew up a bamboo cane and a greenhouse rack that it attached itself to.
Your brassicas will do better netted to stop the butterflies and the birds. Do peppers need support I can't remember but hope to do some of those in green house too.
You ll be so pleased when everything starts sprouting :widesmile:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:18 pm

Thanks girls :widesmile:

I went and raked the bit that I dug yesterday just before it got dark so it looks all nice (I need to dig it over again, i think I missed some grass roots in the centre!). I'm going to cover the area for the 3 sisters and let a tarp or something kill the grass for me!

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:59 pm

I put a bamboo stick in the ground next to the plant and then "stuck" the plants stem to the stick with clothespins :giggle: I was going to find a wise solution but this seemed to work just fine :widesmile:

Mine was the smaller kind as well btw - they where really good :thumbsup:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:45 pm

Here is my updated plan:
https://www.growveg.com/garden-plans/731626/
My free thing ran out today so I can't change it but I've actually planted my first things (garlic) :yahoo: and couldn't do them as per plan as I've only dug and raked over the first area. The garlic has gone in in 2.5 rows running across the centre of the bottom section, the full width for 2 and then just to the 'inny' bit for the other half. I've put in about 40 of them as I read that you shouldn't put little ones in as they are rubbish so didn't plant the 50 I thought I had!

I seem to have totally ditched the cauli and brocolli but wondering if I can get them in late in the summer for autumn and winter harvesting, I need to do some more research. The section to the left (next terrace up) has also now being used - for both the 3 sisters area and all the fruits I now have, including raspberries, redcurrants, gooseberries, blueberries. Not sure all the ones the freecycle girl gave me will live but I'll try :D The random herbs floating around the plan are what are over near the house in the herb garden but wanted them to come up on the list of when to plant etc.

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Veggie patch 2016 plans! New plan pg. 7

Postby Aeseldyr » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:14 pm

You are just so coordinated Tory :yahoo: I am more like "ok so what should we put here... this looks good...and maybe this..." Then later I will be like "oh but I should also have... But that is too late now..." :hohoho: need to be organized in my little garden :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Veggie patch 2016 plans! New plan pg. 7

Postby clothmama » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:20 pm

Aeseldyr wrote:You are just so coordinated Tory :yahoo: I am more like "ok so what should we put here... this looks good...and maybe this..." Then later I will be like "oh but I should also have... But that is too late now..." :hohoho: need to be organized in my little garden :giggle:

This is me too normally @Aeseldyr but I'm supposed to be giving becoming as self sufficient as we can a go so I have to learn everything and I have no idea what I'm doing :eek: so I'm hoping that forcing myself on an intensive learning curve and having everything organised I'll be able to actually get a decent crop from the garden (even though I haven't done any soil amendments and my compost isnt' ready so havent' even missed any of that in :panic: ) I'm going to be so devastated if I end up with no food after all this work :giggle: , I have no idea how many hours I've done already and by the end of the summer it will be enormous :shock: . At least if I have a plan I feel like I have a little help pointing me in the right direction and with the lists you can click on it tells you what to do when planing wise.

PreviousNext

Return to The Veggie Patch