Veggie patch 2016 - 16/07 progress pics pg 8

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Veggie patch 2016 plans! New plan pg. 7

Postby clothmama » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:44 pm

A row of carrots and radish just gone in and once Rémy has had something to eat we'll go and put the set (go me with my gardening terms :hohoho: ) of shallots in :yahoo:

Oops posting fail - hours later! Shallots now in and clearing a little area next to the green house, that appears to have perhaps been an old compost pile, and I'm going to put a pretty flower mix that I've got in there to cheer up that corner! I know I should be doign more on the veggie patch but nice to do some pretties too :giggle: We've just come in to have a drink and some afternoon tea.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Veggie patch 2016 plans! New plan pg. 7

Postby clothmama » Sun May 01, 2016 12:11 pm

Stuff is starting to grow :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Some radishes (I think) coming up along the little fence. There is supposed to be some roquette coming up but I fear it has not made it - not sure why I thought it was pretty hardy. Also garlic running up the centre of this bed, no sign of it yet, will be very sad if it doesn't grow (I did use stuff from the shop - but it was local and certified so hoing it is OK and hasnt' had the dreaded spray!), I tried to dig one up but couldn't find it but then read it takes a month so still time yet!
Peas and snow peas (mangetoute) running the 2 lines under the teeppee thing (obviously not needed yet for growth but I'm needing to build all sorts of Rémy barriers :hohoho: ) and the shallots / eshallots doing really well next to them.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Veggie patch 2016 plans! Growth pg. 8!

Postby sim » Sun May 01, 2016 1:36 pm

Ooh, looking good!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Veggie patch 2016 plans! Growth pg. 8!

Postby clothmama » Tue May 17, 2016 7:15 am

Lots of work over the last few days finishing getting the beds ready (I'd just mulched a lot of it to stop the weeds but hadn't raked it etc) and lots of plants in :yahoo:
The lettuce patch - the ones at the back are still my winter ones I planted in October :hohoho: then cos at the front:
This first section has radish and carrots to the right then the non growing garlic through the centre then on the left is some more peas (need to put up a support). The top left is a small cherry tomato, some peppers, aubergine and perhaps something else that I can't remember then heading off along the top row is all the tomatoes with a row of basil right a long the top edge:
The pea house and I've done a little bed on the end with some nasturtiums (must get some on the other ends as well):
The brassica area, I've got 6 cauliflowers at the front then some brussel sprouts, I'm going to put the 6 broccolis in as well then along the top edge are 3 zuchinnis and there should have been a cucumber as well but I killed it (decapitated it as I picked it up :doh: ). Then on the right hand of the L bit there are 6 strawberries and 2 raspberries (I haven't managed to move them and decided I'll leave them this year, I think I could cause more damage than good to move them now):
Looking down the long edge of the 'E' where I have the tomatoes and a few lettuce in the centre (trying inter planting :giggle: )

Phew! So still need to get the broccoli in and lots of flower seeds and then rotavate the next area for my corn, beans and pumpkins / butternut. :loopy: :loopy: I tell you what this stuff better grow for me!!!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Veggie patch 2016 plans! New pics pg. 8!

Postby confusinglady » Wed May 18, 2016 9:47 am

Wow everything looks fab!!!! Well done, you've been working really hard :thumbsup:
I love it when they start to grow and look like proper plants.
I m not sure how some of my seeds are doing :( the cauliflower and cabbage are appearing but only a few and then something looks like it might be eating them even with my nets so probably slugs. We did have a hedgehog last year which helped but not seen him/ her yet. My spinach is really not appearing which I m gutted about as the kids with eat that and then we freeze to use in things over winter. It's been so cold here though on some days and nights.
Good news is the greenhouse stuff doing well. Maybe I should plant some spinach in there just in case.....

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Veggie patch 2016 plans! New pics pg. 8!

Postby clothmama » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:07 pm

Well I'm just a bit exhausted! In the last week I've totally filled all places in the EL veggie patch (get it - shaped like an E then an L :hohoho: :hohoho: ) we now have 3 corguettes, 2 chillis, 2 cucumbers, 14 tomatoes, 1 cherry tomato, various lettuces, carrots (well about 6 of them :hohoho: ), radishes, peas, snow peas, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, 100 :shock: onions, shallots, dead garlic (have given up all hope - accidentally dug one up and it was rotten :cry: ), strawberries and raspberries. Sorry not a very good pic in the harsh late afternoon light.

This week DH rotovated a further 2.5 x 10 metre bit on the next terrace up and today I started prepping it - the back is going to be a pumpkin patch (2 large unknown variety, 4 small unknown (Aussie variety I got from organic farmer and kept seeds) and as many butternut as I can fit. I got the 2 big ones in up the back - I thought I read do an 18 inch hill so made it big t (not 18 but pretty big) then read somewhere else 3 inches :giggle:

The front section is 2 beds a metre wide each and 4 m long with a path (OK it is a trench - didn't mean to do it that deep but after I'd made my last paths I'd read you should put the soil from the paths you make onto the beds - I perhaps overdid it. Louis commented it looks like WW2 :lookround: :giggle:

Plan to cardboard the bottom of the path for weeds then probably just put some straw for the moment and get something on the sides to hold back the soil and in effect make raised beds! Plan to have lots of basil and beans in this section.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Veggie patch 2016 - 01/07 progress pics pg 8

Postby clothmama » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:56 pm

I'll take another pic in a few days for mid July but this is how it was looking on the 1st :D
Image Image Image Image
Pumpkin patch
Beans

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Veggie patch 2016 - 16/07 progress pics pg 8

Postby clothmama » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:25 am

The pictures of the top terrace in the pictures above show about 1/2 as bad weeds as there was by the time we sorted it out this week - the ground was totally covered by grass and a weird weed that looks like a succulent and gets everywhere! No idea what it is called though!

This is where I was at by lunchtime yesterday! All weed free and mulched with fresh straw :yahoo: 5 more peppers and 10 more butternuts planted.
I saw an idea on the net to bury a pot in the centre of the little hill you make for your squashes adn then water into there to help get the water to the roots so I did that on a few of them to see how I like it and if it works I'll do it with bigger pots if I can get some next year.

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Veggie patch 2016 - 16/07 progress pics pg 8

Postby autumnalgirl » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:37 am

Wow! It's looking amazing! Like the idea of burying a plant pot.

PreviousNext

Return to The Veggie Patch